BEDFORDSHIRE

Aspley Guise  Blunham  Elstow Everton Eyeworth  Flitton/de Grey Mausoleum  Old Warden  Sutton  Toddington Turvey
 
Aspley Guise - St Botolph
Church open - Park outside or nearby. O/S Ref: TL 943 363



Knight late 14th century

on tomb chest
no identification
Knight c. 1500
Priest (c. 1410) kneels before St John the Baptist
May have been part of a foliated cross
   
Left: Rev John Taux Moore MA Rector 1843-64
Above: Elizabeth Moore (1820)
 
Rev Thomas Farmer MA (1843)
30 years rector
 

William Stone
? n/d
particularly unpleasant skull above the script
 
William Wright (1807)
local schoolmaster
 
Francis Norcliffe (1724)

Blunham - St Owen
Richard Maulaye, a mercer, (1506) & Alice Her date has been left blank
Frances Ann Thornton (1862)
by Samuel Manning Jnr

Susan (1620) wife of Charles, Earl of Kent and daughter of Sir Michael Longueville. Alternatively Susannah Grey daughter of Charles, 7th Earl of Kent and wife of Sir Michael Longueville. Alabaster
Elstow - St Mary and St Helen
   
Sir Humphrey Radcliffe (1566) & Isabel (Harvey) (1594) It is said that they met by her dropping her glove out of a window and his catching it on his lance.   Margery Argentine (1427) Widow of 2nd husband Sir William Argentine; her 1st husband was John Harvey, who has a brass at Thurleigh. Latin inscription, partly missing.   Elizabeth Herwy or Hervey (1527) Abbess of the nunnery here. Latin inscription but the date of death has not been filled in.
Everton
St Mary

Sir Humphrey Winch (1625)

Judge who presided at the Leicester witch trials 1616
 Eyeworth - All Saints


Above and immediately right: Sir Edmund Anderson (1605) and his wife Magdalen (1623). Alabaster. He was Chief Justice of the Common Pleas and judge at the trials of Mary, Queen of Scots, and of Sir Walter Raleigh; he was notorious for his severe treatment of the Puritans.
Far right: Richard Gardburye (1624) and his second wife Margaret, daughter of Thomas Anderson of Castlethorpe, Lincs; and their only daughter Magdelenna (1618 age 5) Magdelenna and the shield were stolen in c 1972
Above: Sir Edmund Anderson (1638), son of Francis, and his wife Alice (Constable) ; they clasp a heart between them.  They had one daughter Dorothy who married her step brother Sir John Cotton Bt; Alice remarried in 1640 Sir Thomas Cotton Bt of Connington, Cambridgeshire, where she is buried and also has a monument. (q.v.)

Far Right: Sir Francis Anderson (1616) and his two wives Judith (1608) and Audry.  Alabaster. He was the son of the above Sir Edmund and Lady Anderson.
Flitton - St John the Baptist
The de Grey Mausoleum

The de Grey Mausoleum, founded by Henry de Grey, 6th Earl of Kent in 1605, is one of the largest sepulchral chapels in the country. The Earl was buried here according to his instructions in 1614. The Mausoleum contains over twenty monuments to the de Grey family, who lived in the nearby Wrest Park, and was the burial place of the family for over 250 years. The cruciform mausoleum has its nave set against the north side of St John the Baptist church and its south transept overlaps the east end of that church. The oldest part was built circa 1614 and the eastern parts added in 1705.

Access by appointment with the key holder only; see English Heritage website for details. Park on any near side road.
15th and 16th Century Brasses


Left:
Eleanor Conquest (1434)

Right: Elizabeth Warren (1544). Wife of William Warren

NB This brass is not actually in the mausoleum but placed on the north wall of the adjoining church
The 17th Century

Henry Grey, 6th Earl of Kent, Lord Hastings, Weisford and Ruthyne (1614)
& his wife Mary (1580) . This Henry Grey was the founder and builder of the chapel. He was the younger brother of Reginald Grey, 5th Earl. Mary was buried at Great Goddesden, Hertfordshire. Her first husband was Edward Stanley, 3rd Earl of Derby, his third wife; 'their marriage was a disaster and a dispute developed over the marriage settlement, resulting in her cousin Thomas Olney travelling north to bring her home. She was supported by Thomas and his brother for 12 years, for which she would later claim expenses and debts for her upkeep. In 1574, thanks to the mediation by the Earl of Leicester, an agreement was reached between Mary and her stepson, the new Earl. Sadly further litigation ensued for  another 15 years...on her marriage to Henry Grey she changed her mind...the matter was still unsettled when Thomas died. Alabaster
Henry Grey, 9th Earl of Kent (1651) and Amabel Grey, Countess of  Kent (1698) He was the son of Rev Anthony Grey, 9th Earl of Kent. As Lord Ruthin he sat in the short parliament of 1640. Although a parliamentarian and holding office under parliament, he took no part in the trial and the execution of the King. They had two children Anthony and Elizabeth.  Amabel was the daughter of Sir Anthony Benn and Lady Jane Hart. Marble erected 1658.
 Left and above: Lady Jane Hart (1673) As Lady Jane Benne Evelyn she married Sir Eustace Hart in 1626. By her former husband, Sir Anthony Benne, she was mother of Amabella Countess of Kent. Lady Elizabeth Talbot (1651) Countess Dowager of Kent. She married Henry Earl of Kent; there were no children by this marriage.



Above & near right:
Anthony de Grey, 3rd Baron Lucas styled Earl of Harold (1723) Eldest son of Henry Duke of Kent by Jemima Crew. Married Lady Mary Tufton; no issue. Died choking on an ear of barley at 28. By Dowyer 1726
The 18th Century






Right & centre right top:
Henrietta de Grey (1717) Daughter of Henry, Duke of Kent; she died aged 14

Centre right bottom & far right:
 Lord Henry de Grey (1717) 2nd son of Henry, Duke of Kent and Duchess Jemima; he died age 20.
 
       

Above left:
Amabel Countess de Grey (1727) Eldest daughter of Henry, Duke of Kent. She had one daughter, Jemima, afterwards Marchioness de Grey
Above right: Lady Anne de Grey (1728) One of the daughters of Henry, Duke of Kent
Right: Philip Yorke, 2nd Earl of Hardwicke (1790) He married Lady Jemima Campbell; she became Marchioness Grey in 1740, her maternal grandfather being Henry Grey, 1st Duke of Kent. Although the title became extinct on her death, her eldest daughter was created Countess de Grey. Marble by Thomas Banks
 

Henry, Duke of Kent (1740); Jemima (1728) and Sophie de Grey (1748)
Henry was the son of Anthony, 11th Earl of Kent and Mary, 1st Baroness Lucas of Crudwell. He was later created Marquis and then Duke. Despite a grand political career, he was unpopular and was nicknamed 'bug' because of his body odour. By his first wife Jemima he had five sons and seven daughters. By his second wife Sophie, he had one son and one daughter. Designed by Edward Shepherd; effigy of the Duke sculpted by John Michael Rysbrack.
 

 The 19th Century  

 
 


Above: Thomas Philip Robinson, 2nd Earl de Grey (1859) He succeeded his father, Thomas, 2nd Baron Grantham, to the Grantham title in 1786, and succeeded his aunt to the de Grey title in 1833. By Matthew Noble. There is no inscription and this monument was the last to be placed in the mausoleum. He was succeeded to the title Baron Lucas of Crudwell by his daughter Ann and the de Grey title by his nephew George Robinson, 2nd Earl of Ripon.

Right top: Amabel, Baroness Lucas of Crudewell and Countess de Grey (1833) Eldest daughter of Philip, Earl of Hardwicke and Jemima, Marchioness de Grey; relict of Viscount Polworth
Right bottom: Mary Jemima, Baroness Grantham (1830) 2nd daughter of Philip, Earl of Hardwicke and widow of Thomas, Lord Grantham

 
 
 

Henrietta Frances, Countess de Grey (1848)
Wife to Thomas Philip, afterwards Earl de Grey. Marble by Terence Farnell
Old Warden
St Leonard


Left & above: Sir Samuel Ongley (1726) By Scheemahers & Delvaux (signed) A London merchant
Right: Caroline Jane Shuttleworth (1899) by C H Mabey (signed)



Sutton - All Saints


Left top and centre top: 'The tombe of John Burgoyne of Sutton Esq. sonne & heire of Thomas Burgoyne Esq. and Anne daughter of John Bowles of Newton in the country of Hertford Esq.. (which Anne was after the decease of the said Thomas married unto Sir Roberte Catlin, Lord Chief Justice of England) Obit AD 1604' 'Here sleeps the body of an aged wight whose hart was set on bounty, peace and right.' 'John Burgoyne sonne of Roger Burgoyne esquire'.
Left bottom and centre bottom: Sir William Montagu Roger Burgoyne Bt (1835) By G Oldfield of Ashford
Right: Sir Roger Burgoyne Bt MP (1679) Fought for the King in the Civil War and later went into exile returning at the Restoration. By Grinling Gibbons
 
Toddington - St George
Church is open but the entrance to the north transept - which contains some monuments as well as housing the organ - is locked. Park nearby free in the village; road is quite busy
O/S Ref: TL 011 289
All the monuments are situated in the south transept and the niches are in the south wall.

Above top row, first column top and centre column:
Sir John Peyre (c. 1315) Note the heraldry carved on the shield; first column, bottom and right column: Sir Thomas Peyre (1429) Note heraldry on jupon.

Lower row:
Wife of Sir Thomas Peyre


Top row: Dame Anne Cheyne (1561)
Middle row: Henry, Lord Cheyne (1587) Alabaster
Bottom row/right: Lady Cheyne (1614) Alabaster

All three of these effigies are on tomb chests but he monuments are so close together it is not possible to photograph these chests, except that of Dame Anne, which is at the end of the row. The other tomb chests are in very battered condition anyway.

The above monuments are situated in the south transept and rather tightly.

 The north transept contains the organ and the small door leading into it was locked. There are listed two monuments in this transept:

1. Maria Wentworth (1639) Frontally seated figure under a canopy with two putti
2. Lady Henrietta Wentworth (1686)  Grey and white marble. Reredos type with two allegorical figures and still life of death.

(Pevsner)
.



Above & right top: John, 1st Baron Mordaunt of Turvey (1562) & Elizabeth (Vere) Alabaster effigies with stone surround. By: T Kirby
Turvey - All Saints


Above & bottom left
: John, 2nd Baron Mordaunt of Turvey (1571) & two wives: Eleanor (FitzLewis) & Joan (Fermor)

Above:
Sir John Mordaunt (1504) & Elizabeth (Latimer) (1518) Alabaster effigies on Purbeck tomb chest.,
Right: Lewis, 3rd Baron Mordaunt of Turvey (1601) The draped 'cloth' is in fact stone.
Next right: Alice Bernard (1606)
Next right: Possibly William Mordaunt (1481)
Far right: Possibly John Crosse (1517) rector

 
With many thanks to Amanda Miller of Amanda's Arcade for supplying the photographs of and the information about the de Grey mausoleum and to Jean McCreanor for supplying the remaining photographs on this page. Those from Toddington and Aspley Guise are by the Webmaster
Return to previous ('Monuments') page click here