DORSET

 The mutlti-volume RCHM work is well worth looking at, Dorset being the most completly surveyed county in England.
NB There are often more monuments in the churches below as well as those listed..
Next Page (Dorset_2)
Beaminster Bere Regis  Bridport Charminster Church Knowle   Cranborne  Canford Magna   Dorchester  Fifehead Magdelene Frampton  Gillingham Godmanstone
 Hinton St Mary  Horton Mappowder  Marnhull  Melbury Osmond Melbury Samford  Milton Abbas            
Beaminster
Not yet visited
Bere Regis - St John Baptist O/S Ref: SY 847 947
John Skerne & Family (1593)  Monument and details of kneeling figures and heraldry brasses; also inscription. Erected by his wife Margaret in 1596 Chancel
Monument said to be to the Turberville family (early 16th century) Purbeck. Detail shows brass indents. The small indent between the figures is probably a Trinity Another said to be to theTurberville family early 16th century monument.  Purbeck.
There is also a fourth monument similar to the above, also Purbeck.
Above: Robert Williams (1631) Latin inscription
Right: Anna Maria Radclyffe (1854); her husband Charles James (1882); their son Charles James (1913); his wife Blanche (1927) and their son Mjr Eustace (1950)

Bridport - St Mary

Church open. Pevsner seems to indicate that the church is out of town: it is not. From the A35 roundabout continue to town centre on East Street (B3162), then turn left at the town hall clock along South Street (B3156). The church is then on the right. You can park in South Street nearby. O/S Ref: SY 465 925


Late 13th century knight. The face has been heavily recut in modern times giving him a WWI rather than a medieval appearance!

Far left: Harriet Templer (1905)
Left:
Samuel Bull (1777)
Above:
Henry Wyndham Francis Blackburne Farrer. (1918) Major RFA. MC 2 Bar; Croix-de-Guerre; 1914 Star. KIA Mazinghein aged 24. Son of the Rector
Other Tablets

Josiah Northcote Teed (1807)
and his wife Mary (1803)

Carlotte Carpenter (née Roberts) (1816)
buried in church yard. Also to her eldest son, Henry Roberts (1801 aged 'about 14') He was midshipman aboard HMS Scout Sloop of War ehich foundered November 1801 on the banks of Newfoundland on the way to Halifax, Nova Scotia, when all hands perished. Also to her second son, William (1787 aged 8) . Also to three other sons who died in infancy, Edward Thomas George and Samuel. [I count four but there are no commas!] Her husband Thomas was buried in his family vault at Chiselborne. The monument was erected by their only surviving son, then a field officer in Madras in 1841.

Jane Tatum (1829)

Stephen Wretham JP (1860)

Cranborne  -  St Mary & St Bartholomew O/S Ref: SU 051 132

Above: John (1571) & Margaret Hawles. Purbeck. Latin inscription.

Above & right: John &Elizabeth (Chafin) Hooper c 1600
           
Above left: 'Near this place in the vault of Robert Prower MD are deposited the remains: of Lady Katharine Noel (1779); of Fanny Prower (1789) , wife of Robert above; of Robert Prower MD (1795), as above; of Rev Wm Storey AM (1797); of Harriet Rigby (1816), grand-daughter of Robert Prower; of Fanny Rigby (1827), widow of Rev Henry Rigby and daughter of Robert Prower.
Above centre: Frances Ann Carnegie (1867)
Above right: John Miles (1854) He left a bequest to the benefit of four poor men and four poor women of the parish. Signed Osmond Sarum
Above: Rev Henry Donne B.C.L.  J.P (1830) 44 years vicar of the parish. And his wife Catherine (1820) Signed (twice) Osmond Sarum
Right, beginning top left and then clockwise:
Thomas (1789) & Ann Rebecca Stillingfleet (1803)
Thomas (1815) & Elizabeth (1839?) Stillingfleet
Samuel (1750) & Mary Stillingfleet (1740)
George Stillingfleet (1811 @ 16)
Son of Thomas & Elizabeth


      

Left top: Anne (Moore) Hooper (1637), Katherine Hooper (1637), her husband Thomas Hooper (1638) & others of the same family. Also Katherine (Fleming) Wyndham (1693) sometime wife of Edward Hooper.
Left bottom:
Mariana Brouckner (1833) Signed: Saunders, New Road, Lodon
Above left:
Susannah (Morris) Stillingfleet (1647) Painted slate in stone surround
Above centre:
John Elliot (1641) Alabaster
Above right:
William Miles (1806); son William (1821) and wife Charlotte (1847)
Canford Magna
Not yet visited
Charminster - St Mary
O/S Ref: SY 679 927
Above left: One of the Trenchard tombs in the Trenchard chapel. The two tombs are very similar: This has a pendant from the canopy and indents for brasses on back wall; the other has panelling on the underside of the canopy. Purbeck marble
Above right & far right: Grace Pole (1636). The colouring was carried out in recent times.
There are several black and white mural tablets'
Church Knowle
St Peter
O/S Ref: SY 941 819

John Clavell (1572)
and his two wives. The monument is of the Purbeck Marble type, as those above, but is not Purbeck Marble but rather Portland STone. The several brasses of figures and heraldry are shown below.
Below left: heraldic brass of John Clavell
Below centre: kneeling figure of John Clavell
Below right: kneeling figures of children of Myllicent (Gyfford) Clavell
Next row below; left : kneeling figure of Myllicent
Centre left: Her heraldric brass
Centre right: heraldic brass of Susan (Coker) Clavell
Right: kneeling figure of Susan
There are brass inscription plates below the figures of John and Susan but that below Myllicent is missing
Also tablet to Thomas Cockram (1699) pediment above
  Dorchester - St Peter 
St Peter's Church is in the High Street and open during normal hours.  Park in one of the nearby pay car parks in the town.   O/S Ref: SY 629 908
   

Two Knight late 14th century These two military effigies are similar but not at all identical and now rest on window ledges in the Hardy Chapel; they are said to have come from a Franciscan Friary or an earlier church.

Altar Tomb (14th century)  in wall recess in chancel. Carved initials 'HW' and a merchant's mark as in roof of north chapel Sir John William (1617) & Wife. The centre is a black shrine on the roof of which armour is placed. The couple kneel on either side, behind a pair of columns which carry an arch with Elizabethan motifs. Blocked by organ! Thomas Hardy of Melcome Regis (1599) Wall monument with pilasters, obelisks and arms Denzil Lord Holles, Baron Ifield (1679/80) A large standing monument on which he reclines, wearing a wig and yet Roman costume, on a sarcophagus. Wingless putti stand in front; these were originally on flanking pedestals which were destroyed when the monument was moved to its present position. . This was erected by his nephew's son and heir, John Duke of Newcastle in 1699.
Denzil Holles (1599-1679/80) was a member of the Short and Long Parliaments for Dorchester. When in 1628 the speaker Speaker attempted to adjourn the House at the command of Charles I,  he held him down in his chair 'till we are pleased to rise'; for this action he was fined and imprisoned. He escaped and lived in banishment for seven or eight years. When Stafford, his brother-in-law, was on trial he attempted unsuccessfully to save him by trying to get the King to abolish episcopacy if parliament would drop the attainder. He opposed the King in parliament and raised a regiment of foot which fought at Edgehill. Thereafter Holles led the peace party and was one of the Commissioners sent by Parliament to propose a peace treaty with the King at Oxford in 1644. When the Army marched on London in 1647 he fled to Normandy but returned the next year when he was one of the Commissioners sent to negotiate the Treaty of Newport with the King, who was now prisoner on the Isle of Wight. Threatened with arrest on his return he again fled to France. Following the restoration he was made a Privy Councillor and a baron. He, however, opposed much of Charles II's policy in parliament.


Above:John Bascombe Lock (1842) Cpt in the 5th Bengal Native Infrantry. Died in the Khybur Pass.
Right: George Care (1846), his wife Frances (1814) their sons Thomas (1846) & Charles (Dow 1846) Cpt in Bengal 1st Regiment.

John Gordon (1774) '... He died at Dorchester Oct 4th, 1774 age 46. On his return to (?) Jamaica where he had resided many years In Universal Esteem. He was signally instrumental In quelling a dangerous Rebellion in the Island In the Years 1760 A large Body of NEGROES  whom his BRAVERY had repulsed Finally yeilding To their Confidence in his HUMANITY...'

Above:Edward Pearce (1817) '... for 50 years a banker in this parish...'
Clara Jane Constance (Conybeare) Pearce Edgcumbe (1888) wife of Edward Robert Pearce Edgcumbe. '...only 23...'
Left: Henry Duncombe (1788)
    Other Monuments    
Mary Finch (1882) '...in a vault outside, near this tablet...' John Finch (1883) her husband
Rev Thomas Morton Colson AB (1830) & Mary (1833)
Rector of Linkenholt Hanson. Dark gray marble tablet with arms 
Revd John Morton Colson LLB (1863)
'... 44 years rector of Dorchester St Peter...' '...was buried in a vault in the churchyard...' B&W Tablet
Mary Bond Colson (1849)
'... was buried with her parents beneath the altar' B&W Tablet
Ann Catherine Colson (1874)
2nd daughter of Rev TM & M Colson '... buried with her brother in the churchyard...' B&W Tablet
Elizabeth Dampier (1874)
'... widow of Revd W England, Rector of Winterbourne Came, and the third daughter of the Rev T M & M Colson...buried with her husband at Came...'  B&W tablet
Alfred Gregory (1848)
  B&W Tablet
John Willis (1834)
  B&W Tablet with shield, signed Lester of Dorchester
Henry Tooze (1828), Barrack Master at Dorchester & Susanna (1846) White marble tablet; signed Gregory, Dorch. Also  Mary Honour (1873), wife of their son, Richard Tooze (1874) '...Their remains are deposited in a vault in the churchyard adjoining the southern base of the tower...'
Mary Shergold (1840)
white marble tablet on black surround
'... Erected by the three surviving children of...' William Churchill (1796) , buried at Puddle Hinton with his sister Elizabeth, wife of Nath. Templeton. Their mother Jane Churchill (1801) ...buried in the church with her daughter Sophia (1800).'  White tablet and below on separate tablet: '... In addition...'  Caroline Frances Churchill (1805 age 18) '... one of the above mentioned children....buried in this church by the side of her mother...'
Henry Joseph Moule MA (1904) B&W tablet.
Mary Blandy (1844)
  B&W tablet with arms
George Churchill (1814)
  Captain of the 34th Regt. of Infantry white marble tablet with scroll held by hand at the top with coloured oval background. '...Captain of the 34th Regt. of Infantry...in North America...' 
Joshua Churchill (1786)
tablet
Henry Duncombe (1788)
white marble tablet with wreath, urn and arms
Elizabeth Cozens (1821) White marble tablet with urn against gray marble backing. Signed Gibbs
A wall brass records that the carved alabaster panel of the reredos was presented by Miss Ashley in memory of her uncle the late Earl of Shaftesbury (1899)
Early 18th century tablet with pilasters, urns and cartouche, Illegible inscription and arms.
There are several floor slabs, brasses and indents.
Fifehead Magdelene  -  St Mary Magdelene
O/S Ref: ST 783 216
Above left: George Davidge (1772), his wife Joan (1759), and children John (17440, Hester (1758) and George (1772)
Above centre: Thomas Newman (1649) & son Richard (1664) RCHM says marble tablet is 17th century and the stone surround probably 18th century.
Far right and below detail of the busts: Sir Richard Newman Bt (1721), his wife Frances (1730) his son Samwell (1747), his daughters Frances (1775) Barbara (1763) & Elizabeth (1774) . Marbles. Above are busts of Thomas, wife and son whike below are the busts of his daughters in oval medallions.
  
Frampton - St Mary
O/S Ref: 627 950

Rear Admiral Sir John Browne (1627) & Joan (Portman). The two effigies remain with fragments of the dismantled monument; the tomb chest itself is modern.
       
Above and right: Ann Browne (1714) Daughter of Robert & Frances Browne  Above and left: John Browne (1750) Note the inscription. Marble
     
Far left: Francis Browne (1740) The monument is dated 1751. 
Left and above: Robert Browne (1772) Varicoloured marbles by John Ford of Bath 
Right: John Browne (1771) Varicoloured marbles also by  John Ford of Bath
 
       
Frances Browne (1806) Daughter of Rev John Richards and wife of Francis John Brown. By Westmacott, London Susanna Browne (1790) Elizabeth Ann Sheridan  Richard Brinsley Sheridan (1902) by E Fuchs 1902 
       
Joan (Browne) Cocker (1653) & baby William The tomb chest and recess are modern. Unknown - exterior monument  Charles Sheridan  Robert Browne (1757) son of Robert and Frances Browne. Marbles
 
Robert Browne (1734) This is the inscription only
  Gillingham - St Mary   
Far left: Sir Henry Dirdoe (1724) and centre bottom: details of the skull at the base of the monument. By John Bastard of Blanford
Centre top and above: Frances Diroe (1733) The figures represent the commemorated and her two sisters, or the Three Graces.
NB: Unlike the Kent town of the same name, this is pronounced with a hard initial G 
O/S Ref: ST 808 265
   
     
The Rev John Jessop, vicar of Gillingham, (1625) & Dr Thomas Jessop (1615)  One effigy is below a wall arch while the other below a totally free standing arch.There appear to be various fragments behind and on top of the effigy under the wall arch.
         
John Pern vicar (1770) and others of his family. Marble Mary (Goddard) Helyar (1750) Marble  Mary Read (1764) Marble Thomas Godwin and his daughter Sarah (both 1814) Marble by Langley of Hinton Edward Read (1779) and other members of his family.  Marble tablet with slate surround. by Francis Lancashire & Son of Bath
     
Anne Wheildon (1861) Edward Sly (1795) and other members of his family, 1805-37. Marble Left: John Tinney (1728) . Marble
Right:
Edward Davenham (1679) vicar. Slate tablet with painted Latin inscription.
 
Godmanstone
Holy Trinity
O/S Ref: SY 666 974
Margaret Jane Goodenough (1834) Frances Helen Wainewright (1852) plaster relief Revds. George (1844), Murray (1850) & Mathew ( 1852) Vicars

 
Hinton St Mary - St Peter
O/S Ref: ST 787 161

Left: Thomas Freke (1655)
Above left: detail of skull of the above
Above centre:
John (1796), William (1792) ans Anne (1810) Castleman
Above right:
Richard Castleman (1771) and others of the same family
Horton -St Wolfreda  
O/S Ref: SU 030 075
      
   
Top Right: Victoria Uvedale (1680) She died aged 6 years and 9 months. Marble
The medieval effigies are:
Knight Purbeck marble, cross legs, early 14th century, said to be Sir Giles Baose (1305)
 
Lady Stone, early 14th century, said to be Beatrice Boase
Mappowder
St Peter & St Paul
Church unlocked. Park in road outside
O/S Ref: ST 735 059

Above: Minature (18" long) effigy of knight now in recess near east end of south aisle. He holds a heart or casket indicating likely heart burial.
Left & Right:
Two of three tablets formerly in the chancel but following 19th century restorations are now in the tower; the third is too high to reasonably photograph.
On the left is the lower monument which is on the north wall. To Elizabeth Jeffrey (née Cocker)(1644). Above this (not shown) is to Mary Brune (née Cocker) (1636)
On the right the monument on the south wall. To Robert Cocker (1624), wife Amy (1648) and son Robert (1643)

Marnhull - St Gregory    
O/S Ref: ST 781 187

John Carnet (c. 1478) Husband and two wives in alabaster. The stone tomb chest is 19th century work, possible a copy of the original alabster a fragment of which is set in the south side.
 
Above far left: John Pope (1653) & Anna Pope (1676)
Above centre left: Robert Warren (1596) Stone with brass insert by Lynel Brine
Above centre right: Rev Conyers Place (1738) and wife, parents of below.
Above far right: Rev Conyers Place AM (1778) also his wife and daughter
  
Above far left: James Galpin (1829) marble by Clarke of Blanford
Above centre left:
Robert Harvey Place (1840) marble by Reeves of Bath; Conyers Place
Above centre right:
Rev Edward Place (!768) slate and marble
Above far right:
Thomas (1812) & Martha (1797) Burt
 
Melbury Osmond
St Osmund
O/S Ref: ST 574 078


Above: This is not a church monument as such but records the rebuilding and refurbishment of the church by the gift of Mrs Susanna Strangeways Horner
Below: John Perkins (1827), his daughter Maria (1828) his son John William Jenkins (1834) and his wife Mary (?)
Above: Sarah Perkins (1834), Susanna Perkins (1863) Mary Perkins (1867)
Below: John Perkins (1811) and His wife Mary (1832)
Above Mathew Jenkins
Below John Perkins 'existence was terminated the twenty fourth of June....' 1791; his sister Susanna (1799)
   Melbury Sampford  
The church is regretably on private propery. Pevsner describes it as having the finest collection of church monuments in Dorset. The church may be visited by prior appointment by contacting the secretary at Melbury Stamford House. You won't find it on your Satnav but the O/S ref is ST 578 060

Upper row: Sir Giles Strangeways (1547) Also to his wife Joan (Mordaunt), his wife. Alabaster and Purbeck marble. Possibly a Brouning and only appropriated by the the Strangeways who built the house.
Lower row: William Brouning (1467) Also to  Katherine (Dru) & Alice (Burton) his wives. Erected by Alice in 1647. Tomb chest and canopy of Purbeck marble; effigy of alabaster.  Identical to the above.


Above: Denzil Vesey Fox-Strangeways (1901)
Right:
Thomas (1726) & Susannah Strangeways Marbles. According to Horace Walpole the Latin inscription is by Dr Friend
Right centre:
Strangeways
Far Right:
Caroline Leonora Stephen, Countess of Ilchester (1821) by White marble by Chantrey
Susannah (Strangeways) Horner (1758) White marble on Purbeck backing Grace (Wood) wife of Rev William Samm Stephen, Earl of Ilchester (1776) There are very similar monuments to Thomas Strangeway sen (1713), Susannah (Ridout) (1718) his wife & John Strangeways (1716); and another to his children (1706): Sussanah (1678), Giles (1698), Wadham (1694/5) & Henry (1706) Sir John Strangways (1666)
Above: John Brouning & Eleanor (Fitz-Nycholl) his wife; also William Brouning & Katherine (Dru) his wife c1500
Right: S
ir Gyles Strangeways (1562)
Far Right:
 
Stephen Fox-Strangeways, Lord Stavordale (1848)
Milton Abbas
Milton Abbey
O/S Ref: ST 798 023

Above: Baroness Hambro
Right:
Baron Hambro (1877) marble effigy and tombchest with stone canopy designed by Scott

Caroline (Sackville) Damer (1775) the 1st wife of Lord Milton, the builder of the house. White matble. Designed by Robert Adam and carved by Agostino Carlini


Above: Mary (Tregonwell) Banks (1703/4), James Banks (1724) & John Banks (1725)
Left: Perbeck marble monument appropriated by Sir John Tegonwell (1565), who had bought the estate and buildings at the dissolution of the abbey when the abbey church became the parish church.

With thanks to Sally Badham, founder-member of the Society, for the photographs at Horton and the church authorities for the photographs at Whitchurch Canonicorum.  Also thanks to Ms Penelope Barge for the photographs from Minterne Magna. Also to Amanda Miller of Amanda's Arcade for many of the other photographs. Further photographs by 'Jean Vacances'

Top of Page

Return to previous ('Monuments') page click here;   next page (Dorset_2)