Brittany
Department: Côte-d'Armor
Commune:
Dinan  Léhon   Tréguier
Côte-d'Armor
Dinan Léhon  Tréguier
Dinan 
Park in one of the several modestly priced car parks 
In the Town
This military monument is in a pedestrian street although mainly protected from the weather.
Chȃteau - Museum

Check on the website for current opening times, which vary, and entrance fees. The museum is in the chȃteau; turn left after going through the main gate or ask the attendant to direct you to the gisants. These are in a basement and there are signposts once you reach the correct building, which is not the main keep. Be prepared to negotiate  a steep stone spiral staircase. The floor of the basement is very uneven and can be partly flooded, so wear the correct shoes and be prepared to get you feet wet! However this is a fine collection so the journey is well worth it.

   
 

14th century effigy, said to be that of
Renée Madeuc de Quemadeuc, 2nd wife of Geoffroy le Voyer
 


 Mid 13th century effigy of Rolland de Dinan (?-1186) Abbey of Beaulieu, arrived here in 1848. Arms are: gules lozengy argent


Late 14th century effigy of
Berthelot d'Ensoulevent
Lieutenant of Robert de Buitte


 
Left top and above left: Geoffroy le Voyer (ob between 1346-1365), Baron of Trevenar, Chamberlain to Duke John III of Brittany. Priory of Saint-Georges de Trémeur; transferred to St Malo church in 1923, then to here in 1981. Identifying arms: argent three battle axes sable.
Left bottom and above right: Guillaume de Lesquen, Abbot of Beaulieu late 14th century



Low relief effigies Not named

Effigy in very low relief from Church of the Jacobins, Dinan
Church of St Malo


Centre top and right: Effigy in low relief
Centre bottom and left: As above but the effigy has been totally obliterated


Left and above: Monsignor Claude-Louis de Lesquen Bishop of Beauvais and Rennes (1855)
Below: Unidentified


Léhon - Abbaye Saint-Magloire de Léhon
Léhon is very close to Dinan and is well worth a visit. There is a charge for entry to the museum, which is housed in the original monastic buildings,  but not the church; there is no charge for photography. Free parking around the church. Excellent restaurant in the commune. The abbey is open in July and August every morning - except Sunday - 10.30 to 12.30; and every afternoon 14.30 to 18.30. There are guided tours all year for groups and students. It is advised to check website here.
The identification of these monuments is somewhat speculative: there are several coats of arms and one inscription
Jehan III Beaumanoir (1366) Hero of Trente.  Lord of Beaumanoir and La Hardouinaye. Stone


Top left: Jean IV de Beaumanoir (1367)  Lord of Beaumanoir and La Hardouinaye. Marshal of Britany
Top right & Lower:
Jean V de Beaumanoir (1385)  Lord of Beaumanoir and La Hardouinaye Assassinated by Rolland Moysan & Geoffroi Robin at the instigation of Pierre de Tourneune. Granite
 .

Above:  Gervaise de Dinan (1239) wife of Jehel III de Mayenne, Geoffroy de Rohan and Richard le Maréchal. Stone

Below: Marguerite d'Avaugour (1240) wife of Henri II d'Avaugour and mother of Alain II d'Avaugour. Limestone
Top Row: Raoullin Pollo (1416) father of a prior of Léhon accoring to thei nscription Granite. Low relief
Middle Row Prior of Lehon 14th century Granite. Low relief except for the head which has been cemented into place. Is the latter a replacement?
Bottom Row: Robert IV de Beaumanoir (1408)  Lord of Beaumanoir and La Hardouinaye. Granite


  Tréguier Cathedral
Tréguier is no longer the seat of a bishop, the bishopric having been abolished in 1801 when it was divided between the diocese of Quimper and Saint-Brieuc. However the church is still refered to as Tréguier Cathedral.
 
There are a number of effigies and slabs in the cathedral, both in the body of church and in the cloisters. There is no entrance fee and no charge for photography. As far as I can tell you may park in the square outside the cathedral at no charge.


Unkown bishop


Unknown military effigy


Unknown military effigy


Jean de Lantillac (1461)
Canon of Tréguier; Archdeacon of Plougustel
John, Duke of Brittany (1389-1442) The monument was constracted towards the end of the 19th century.
Monument and effigy of St Yves Hélory de Kermatin (c. 1250-1340),  priest of the diocese of Tréguier. The monument was constructed towards the end of the 19th century. His skull and parts of two long bones are preserved in a nearby glass case.

The Cloisters
These effigies, slabs, tabets and fragments (some of which may be from monuments) are generally in a poor and weather worn condition. Beaulieu Abbey was near the town of Dinan. The cathedral of Saint-Bieuc is in the area as are. the communes of Yffinian and Lannebert. I have not yet located the Priory of St Pierre Marigon


Grave Slab

Grave Slab

Guy de Lyonanais
Abbot of Beaulieu, then Canon de Renne
Beaulieu 16th C


Fragment


Slab

Slab Fragment


Fragment


Fragment


Fragment


Fragment

Unknown Abbot 14th Century. Abbey of Beaulieu
Guillaume Boutier, Abbot of Beaulieu 1426-1468 Abbey of Beaulieu
Guillaume le Floche, Abbot of Beaulieu 1406-1426 Abbey of Beaulieu
? Prêtre, Priory of Saint Pierre Marigon (14 C)
Pierre de Chabucet, Canomide St Brieuc  Cathedral of St Brieuc (15th C)
Alaine de Vitré (fl 1197) Signeur pf Vitré, Seneschal of Brittany. Abbey of Beaulieu 13th Century
Guy Edet , Bishop of St Brieuc 1428-1431. Cathedral of St Brieuc
Eon Gillebert, Knight Yffiniac Church, 14th Century
A knight of the Boumê family. Lannebert Church 16th Century
A knight of the Bréhaut family. St Michael's Church, St Brieuc 16th century
A knight of the Bréhaut family. St Michael's Church, St Brieuc 16th century
A knight of the Bois-Boissel family. St Michael's Church, St Brieuc 16th century
Jeanne de Buchan Wife of Eon Gillebert Yffiniac Church 15th Century

Grave Slab


Grave Slab

Abbot of Beaulieu (14th C)




Tablet - obliterated


Slab

Fragment


Fragment


Fragment


Fragment
Fragments - Side Panels from Tomb Chest Slab - lettering only


 
Return to previous ('Monuments') page click here