NORMANDY

Départments
Calvados Eure Manche Orne Seine-
Maritime
         
Calvados
Commune
Bayeux Caen Campigny Dampierre Friardel St-Gabriel-Brécy Hotot-en-Auge
Lisieux Mondeville Sainte-Marie-aux-Anglais        

Bayeux -  Cathedral of Notre-Dame
Canon Gervvaise de Larchamp (1439) In the crypt. He is also depicted in the wall painting under the arch beind the effigy Purbeck marble tomb slab


Caen - L'Abbaye aux Hommes L'Abbaye aux Dames
William the Conqueror and his wife, Matilda of Flanders, founded two abbeys outside the walls of Caen and at opposite sides of the city: L'Abbaye aux Hommes (Church of St Étienne) (left) and L'Abbaye aux Dames (Church of the Trinity) (right) and they were buried in their respective foundations. Park in one of the many car parks of the city.  There is no entry fee and no charge for photography in either church. L'Abbaye aux Hommes is open during normal hours but the opening times for L'Abbaye aux Dames is (or was) restricted so it is important to check these times.



The simple stone of Matilda still exists and her body still lies below. (left)

However that of William dates only from the nineteenth century. (above)

 


William's original monument, commisioned by his son William Rufus, was executed by Otto the Goldsmith and decorated with gold, silver and gems. A recumbent effigy was said to have been added later.
In May 1562 the church was pillaged during the Wars of Religion, and the tomb smashed, the King's bones being  thrown around the church. Only a thigh bone was recovered and this was returned to the church in 1642.
For the reburial a table tomb (above) was constructed in the quire but this, being found to cause obstruction, was removed and the bone placed under a floor slab in the sanctuary.
This was in turn smashed during the French Revolution and  present slab placed in 1802



Saint Gabriel-Brécy - Priory of Saint-Gabriel
A Prior of the 14th Century

Seine-Maritime
Commune
(Aumale) Bailleul-Neuville Biville-la-Baignarde Blainville-Crevon Bois-Guillaume Elbeuf-sur-Seine
Envermeu Eu Fécamp Le Havre Hodeng-au-Bose Jumièges
Limésy Ménerval Pavilly Rouen Valmont  
Rouen
The Cathedral
You can park in an underground car park - moderate cost - near the Cathedral. There is no charge for entry or photography. Rouen was the capital of the Duchy of Normandy and the Cathedral the burial place of its early Dukes.
The Ambulatory
Richard the Lion Heart (ob 1199). This is the site of the heart burial, the heart itself now being  in the museum. Note how this effigy differs from that at Fontevraud, being much more in the round and resembling those at St Denis. 13th Century
HIC.COR.CONDITUM.EST.RICARDI.ANGLORUM.REGIS.
QUI.COR.LEONIS.DICTUS..OBIIT.AN.M.C.XC.IX.
Henry - The Young King (ob 1183) Henry was the eldest son of King Henry II (and hence Richard's brother) who was crowned in his father's lifetime. He rebelled against his father and died young, Richard thus succeeded to their father's possessions. 13th Century
CUI.FRATER.FUIT.COR.LEONIS.DICTUS.HENRICUS.IUNIOR.SEDEM.IN.
NORMANNIA.ARMIS.IURIQUE.NEGATAM.
AN.M.C.LXXXIII.A.MORTE.TANDEM.HIC.ABGRE.TENUIT.
Rollo, Duke of Normandy (c 933)This is a modern copy  of the effigy accidentally destroyed during World War II by Henri le Jeune.
IN.SINU.TEMPLI.ROLLO.QUIESCIT.A.SE.VASTATAE.CONDITAE.
NORMANNIAE.PATER.AC.PRIMUS.DUX.LABORE.QUI.FRACTUS.
OCCUBUIT.OCTOGENARIO.MAIOR.AN.CM.XX
John Duke of Bedford, Regent of France. He was Henry V's brother and became Regent of France on the death of Henry during the minority of the latter's son Henry VI. This latter Henry was crowned king of both England and France as a child, following the terms of the Treaty of Troyes between Henry V and the unfortunate Charles VI, the French king. The terms of this treaty were that Charles was to remain king during his lifetime but Henry V was to succeed him as king of France on the former's death;  however Henry - a much younger man - died first... This stone marks the site of the Regent's grave.
William Longsword, Duke of Normandy (942) 13th Century
H.S.E.GUILLELMUS.LONGA.DICTUS.SPATHA.
NORMANNIAM.QUI.SUIS.ROLLONIS.FILIUS.STATUIT
.IN.FINIBUS.PRODITORUM.INSIDUS.ANNO.
CM.XLII.OCCISUS
Hugh III of Amiens, Archbishop of Rouen (1164) - said to be the oldest recumbent effigy in France.
Lady Chapel St Joan of Arc's Chapel
 De Brézé Tombs. To the left is a tomb of the late 15th C and the the right the tomb of 1536-1544 The Cardinals d'Amboise (uncle and nephew), Archbishops of Rouen 1515-1525 Archbishop Frédéric Fuzet (1899) By Gauquié(1918)
Also:
1. Pierre (1465) & Joanne de Brézé . He was grand senechal of Anjou, Poitou and Normandy. Destroyed
2. Cardinal Gustave Maximillien Juste de Croy-Soire (1844) Archbishop of Rouen
3. Barbe Guiffard 17th century. Wife of Claude Groulard, 1st president of the parliament of Normandy. White marble. Originally in the Célestines of Rouen but moved here in 1865

Abbey Church of Saint-Ouen
Lady Chapel South

Jean Roussel (1339) called Marc-Argent. 23rd abbot of Saint-Ouen. He built the gothic church. His tomb was destroyed but rebuilt in 1869






Fécamp - Abbey of the Trinity
Guillaume de Puto (1297) 11th abbot. Stone monument of 14th century
There are three other monuments to abbots in the abbey: Richard d'Argences (1223) 7th abbot. 13th century monument, Thomas de St Benôit (1307) 12th abbot. 14th century monument and  Robert de Puto (1326) 13th abbot. 14th century monument

Aumale
Tomb slab of Clement de Longroy and Beatrice de Pons. Limestone with marble inlays. Although said to come from Aumale this monument is now unfortunaltely in the Cloisters Museum, New York


Manche
Commune
Beaumont-Hague La Bonneville Coutances Cerisy-la-Foret Hémevez Hyenville Joganville
Lessay Lestre La Lucerne-d'Outremer La Mont-Saint-Michel Montviron Réville Savigny-le-Vieux

Cerisy-la-Foret
Abbey of St Vigor
Above: Tile monument to an abbot
Right:   Tile monument


Coutances - Notre Dame Cathedral

Cross Slab
Algare (Algarus, Algardus or Algarius) Bishop from 1132 - 1151


Eure
Commune
Alizay Armières Le Bec-Hellouin Écouis Étrépagny Évreux Fontaine-la-Soret
Hébécourt Louviers Marbeuf Moisville Radepont Saint-Aubin-d'Écrosville Saint-Étienne-l'Allier
Sainte-Trie Saint-Germain-Village Tosny La Vieille-Lyre      






Orne
Commune
Domfront   Trumilly
 
 

With many thanks to Tony Carr for supplying many of the photographs on this page

Return to previous ('Monuments') page click here