Poitou-Charente
Departments
Charente Charente-Maritime Deux-Sèvre Vienne
       
The region of Poitou-Charente was created in 1956 but was made part of the new region of Nouvelle-Aquitaine in 2016; the regional capital was Poitiers.  The County of Angoumois (Angoulême), a fief of the Duchy of Aquitaine roughly corresponds to Department of Charente (capital: Angoulême); the County of Aunis, again a fief of Aquitaine is now part of Charente-Maritime Department (capital La Rochelle). The County of Saintoge is mostly in Charente-Maritime with a fifth in Charente and a small amount in Deux-Sèvres (capital Niort) The County of Poitou roughly is included in the Deux-Sèvres and Vienne departments (capital Poitiers)
 
Deux-Sèvres
 
Commune
Airvault  Les Alleuds Oiron  Parthenay St-Génard  Saivres  Thouars
 
Airvault - Église Saint-Pierre
Church open - well worth a visit. Park in free car park by the museum, near the church. 46˚ 49' 41" N; 0˚ 8' 6" W    

            


                     Top Left:
Grave slab of Marie Erault (1607) In church - north aisle
                    Top Right:
Grave slab of  Jeanne Regnault (1616) In porch
                     Above and Right:
Tomb of Pierre de Saine-Fontain (4th quarter of 11th century)

Les Allueds
Abbaye Notre-Dame

You can park outside the church but when I visited the building was unfortunately locked. Said to contain the 14th century stone effigy of Abbé Guillaume (1318) . Epitaph.

Oiron
 Coll
égiale-Saint-Maurice
Church open. Free car park outside. The church contains a series of marble monuments made in the first half of the 16th century by the sculptor Jean 1st Juste. All bear inscriptions. 46˚ 57' 3" N; 0˚ 4' 44" W




Arthus Gouffier (1519) Duke of Roannais, Lord of Boissy, Grand Master of France and Peer of France
Claud Gouffier (1570) Son of Arthus, above. Duke of Roannais, Grand Knight of France. Very defaced cadaver effigy

Philippe de Montmorency (1516) Wife of Guillaume, below

Guillaume Gouffier (1525) Brother of Arthus (above).
 Lord of Bonnivet and Grand Admiral of France



Left: Incised slab: military effigy of Jehan de Grimouard (Greenhill) Above &  Right are slabs of the 17th and 18th centuries, one in situ
Saint-Génard Prieuré - Saint-Génard
The church is open during normal hours. There is a car park outside serving the church. Beautiful quiet setting outside the village
46˚ 10' 32" N; 0˚ 8' 13" W
                              

14th century knight. Possibly holding a heart. Nave north wall

Above and near right: 13th century knight in poor condition. The head has been detached but is preserved. Rear of nave, south side

There are a series of these unusual gravestones in the church yard, mostly not named

Parthenay
Collégiale Sainte-Croix
Parthenay is a medieval fortified town which has expanded well beyond its medieval boundaries; it is well worth a visit in itself. There is plenty of free parking. To find the church head uphill in the old town; open during normal hours. 46˚ 38' 54" N; 0˚ 15' 11" W
Effigies of Guillaume VII de Parthenay-l'Archevêque (1402) and his wife Jeanne de Mathfelon (1415) . Polychrome; his of marble, hers of limestone. Heavily restored in the nineteenth century. Note his feet rest on a gray hound rather than the customary lion

Saivres
The church (locked) is in a pedestrian square together with the Mairie (closed), toilets (unlocked) and wash house (open). Very quiet village but nowhere to borrow the church key. Small car park adjacent to the square.


Church of St Peter. Said to contain the 14th century effigy of Isabeau de Verrières

Thouars - Eglise Saint-Laon
Follow the signposts to Saint-Laon as there are several churches in Thouars. The church is unlocked and you can park outside. The church is a former abbey. 46˚ 58' 29" N; 0˚ 13' 4" W






Above & Left:

Abbé Nicolas Lecoq (1479)
Far Left, Top  Bottom: Margaret Stuart, daughter of James I of Scotland was the first wife of Louis XI of France. To the left is the canopy of her tomb which is all that remains. A modern floor plaque makes her vault and her plain stone coffin may be seen though a grill.
Vienne
Commune
Guesnes Loudon Morthemer Rossay Poitiers

Guesnes
There was a double priory here dependent on the Abbey of Fontevraud, now mostly in a ruinous state. The monks' church was converted into the parish church of the village but what remains of the nuns' quarters is now a private house. The actual church of the latter is now an out-building in a partly derelict condition. The two effigies lie under arches at either side of the nave. At some point a substantial wall had been built across the nave, dividing not only the nave itself but also the monuments themselves in two. The upper part of both effigies - the eastern part - has been almost totally destroyed.
Generally not accessible but occasionally open to the public. Park in village nearby. 46°54'57"N, 0°9'45"E
Far left: Effigy of a lady. Note the purse attached to her belt and what looks like an animal (dog) next to where the head used to be. It looks like a second has been cut out from the opposite side. The first is shown at bottom of the next column and is an unusual as normally angels support the pillow. Also shown are figures on what remains of the tomb chest.

Left: Military effigy. Above are shown fragments including a mail gauntlet.

Loudon - Church of St Peter du Marche
The church is Eglise de St Pierre du Marche not St Hilaire de Martray, which is open infrequently.
Church open; park in free car park 47˚ 0' 41" N; 0˚ 4' 40" W

Very damaged effigies of an unknown ecclesiastic  A military effigy of Fretard de Turzay

Morthemer
There is reported to be an effigy of Renée Sanglier, wife of Marthurn Taveau in the church but I have not visited it yet.

Rossay (near Loudun)
Prieuré de Bois Rogue
This chapel is not usually open to the public but is used for art exhibitions when it may be visited. Park outside.
46°59'02"N, 0°08'36"W


Effigy said to be of Gilles Sanglier (ob c 1500) Inscription in Latin
 
<Top pf Page>  <Home - Index - Page>