OXFORDSHIRE

Adderbury  Asthall  Bloxam  Brize Norton  Broughton  Brightwell Baldwin  Burford  Checkendon Cogges  Deddington  Dorchester Abbey  Ewelme  Great Haseley  Great Milton  Great Tew  Fulbrook Hampton Poyle  Lewknor
Minster Lovel  North Leigh  Northmoor Nuffield 
Oxford Cathedral  Shipton-under-Wychwood  Spelbury  Stanton Harcourt  Steeple Ashton  Steeple Barton   Swinbrook Thame   Waterperry Witney  Wiggington  Yarnton
 
 
Adderbury - St Mary

Thomas Moore (1586) & Wife Painted wooden panel
Asthall - St Nicholas

14th C effigy of a lady, probably Lady Joan Cornwall who owned the manor the middle of that century. Heraldry in window is that of the Cornwalls

Bloxam - St Mary

Sir John Thornycroft (1725) by Andrew Carpenter (signed)

Brize Norton - St Britius

John Daubyngy (1346) Note the unusual design of this monument, the incription, the shields and the helmet. Photographs of the upper half, full length and a plan drawing.

Broughton - St Mary

Alabaster effigies on fragmentary tomb chest with lost canopy. They do not belong together: he is said to be Sir Thomas Wyke (1470): she is unknown earlier 15th century.

Brightwell Baldwin
St Batholomew

John Cottesmore (1439) & Wife

Burford - St John the Baptist

Above: John Spicer (1427) & Wife Left: Edward Harman (1569) & Wife. The tomb displays effigies of the children only
Right: John Osbaldeston (1624) & Wife 

 

 
Above: Lord Chief Justice Tanfield (1625) & Family. Erected by his Wife in 1628 & attrib. to Gerard Christmas. Alabaster and black marble. The recumbent effigies are of the judge and his wife. The kneeling figure is that of their grandson Lucius Cary, 2nd Lord Falkland, flanked by a demi-figure of Lady Tanfield. At the head is a kneeling figure of their daughter Elizabeth

Above: Richard Rainoldes (1528)
Right Top: John Harris (1674)
Right Bottom: Christopher Kempster (1715) Erected by his son

Left Top: Tomb Chest (c 1500) There are also two similar chests of  about the same date
Left Centre: Tomb Chest (15th Century) The bracket brass is lost. Note the angels holding shields
Left Bottom: John Hvntt of Bvrford (1605) (wall brass)

Checkendon - St Peter & St Paul


Richard Braybrooke (1629) & Wife 

Anne Bowett (1490)

John Rede (1404) civilian under a triple canopy

Walter Beauchamp (c. 1430) shows soul borne

 to Heaven in a napkin by angels.

Cogges - St Mary
The Blake Monument (William (1695), Sara (1701) & Francis (1691) 3 marble busts under pediment Lady of the 13th century on tomb chest.
Deddington - St Peter & St Paul

William Byllyng (1533) & Wife
Most of the brasses - except for the inscription are lost

An Unknown Judge (14th Century)

Dorchester-on-Thames
Abbey Church of St Peter & St Paul
The church is usually open. You can park in a free small car park just across the road from the church; toilets there too, although best avoided.
O/S Ref: SU 580 942
Medieval Effigies



Above
& Left: Knight of c 1280. Said to be William de Valance 1282. The base is modern

Right & Below Centre Right: Knight c. 1400. Alabaster. Segrave arms; said to be Hugh Segrave 1387. The tomb chest with blank shields does not belong.


 


Above Far Left & Centre Left Top:
Unknown bishop early 14th C

Who can this be? Dorchester Abbey is not a cathedral althoug it wasin in Anglo-Saxon times until the first Norman bishop, Remigius,  moved the see to Lincoln in 1072-73; Dorchester then continued as a church of secular canons until it was refounded by Bishop Alexander of Lincoln as a Augustinian Abbey. This may be a retrospective effigy of a bishop of Dorchester or, less likely of a bishop from another see. See below brass matrices.

Above Centre Left Bottom, Far Right & Directly Right:
Judge John de Stonor (1354) The tomb chest displays the Stonor arms


Shrines, Coffins & Wall Monuments



Left: Shrine of St . Birinus A new and magnificent marble shrine of marble was constructed in 1330. This was destroyed at the Reformation but fragments were found as part of the masonry of the blocking of a doorway in the 19th century. These fragments were reused in the construction of the present shrine, designed by F Russell Cox in 1964.
Above:
Excavated coffins of abbots on display in the cloisters
Near Right:
John Sheen (1804) & Elizabeth (1809)/Mary Elizabeth Sheen (1822) Daugher of Nathaniel & Margaret Sheen.
Centre Right:
Alderman Richard Sheen (1846)/ 'To the memory of Nathaniel Sheen who died 11th April 1823 ages 38 years. Also Margaret Elizabeth daughter of Nathaniel and Margaret who died 3rd July 1828 aged 33 years. Also Margaret his wife who died July 28th 1838 aged 77 years' (some errors here!)/Helen Fanny Lancester (n/d) wife of Henry George Lancaster Vicar 1929-1957
Far Right: Thomas Latham (1822) & Tomas Latham (1843)/Edwin Harry Huzzy (1962) churchwarden, treasurer, assistant organist and clerk to the parish council
Some Brasses & Matrices
Abbot Richard Beauforest (c. 1510) Inscription in English Unknown Female (c. 1490) Unknown Ecclesiastic Unknown Female and Male Civilian. Someone clearly likes lopping off ladies' heads! Sir John Drayton (1417) & Wife
Matrix: Male Civilian & Female Matrix: Male Civilian & Female;
Shiled and rivets remain
  Matrix - knight late 14th C Matrix: hand holding a bishops' crook. Again could be retrospective memorial to Anglo-Saxon bishop
Crosses & Ledgers
Cross slab: low relief Cross: brass matrix Mrs Agnes Clerke (1661)

Mrs Anne Carleton (1669)  Died in childbirth 5th September, giving birth to here first child at 23. Also 'first borne' THO: CARLETÕ: died 14th December following


Note: There are a number of stones, particularly in the nave, which have been long used as paving slabs and are consequently very worn; these include matrices, incised slabs, ledger stones and grave stones brought in from the churchyard. Some of these are covered by fixtures and fittings, one is even stood upon by the feet of a grand piano. These really should be recorded (I did not have the time it would take) and any worthy ones protected from further wear and damage.

Ewelme - St Mary
Church is normally open. You may park on the road outside the church
Alice de la Pole (Chaucer), Duchess of Suffolk. (1475)


Above: Tomb from the chancel
Centre top: Tomb from the chapel
Center bottom: Close up of the effigy
Far Left: Close up of head of effigy
Below left: Tomb and effigy from chancel
Below right: Tomb and effigy from chapel




 


Above:
Head of cadaver effigy in lower stage
Right: Paintings in lower part of tomb
Alabaster. Inside the open arcading of the lower part of the tomb chest is a cadaver effigy, which can just be seen, and painted on the ceiling above this are the figures of St Mary Magdalene, John the Baptist and the Annunciation. Much of the colouring on the tomb chest is original. The chest has been shortened at the west; it is said to have originally stood in the chancel and been moved to the present position and the canopy added in the later 15th century.
Alice was the granddaughter of Geoffrey Chaucer the Poet and her husband was William de la Pole, Duke of Suffolk. The latter was a favourite of Henry VI and became the principal power behind the throne on his return to England from the French wars. He was blamed for failures of the government and the loss of the French possessions which led to his impeachment by the Commons. He was pardoned by Henry VI and sent into exile. However the ship which carried him was intercepted by St Nicholas of the Tower, where he was subjected to a mock and mocking trial. He was then taken aboard a small boat and beheaded by 'three strokes of a rusty sword'. His body was thrown overboard and washed up on the shore; the incident is recorded in an old English ballad collected by Francis Childs. He was buried, not at Wingfield as often stated, but at Hull.
Thomas Chaucer (1434) & Matilda (Burghersh) (1436) Table tomb with heraldic shields and two brasses on lid

Wall Monuments

 
Henry Howard (1647) by John Stone (?) Francis Martyn (1682) Grenville Hampden (1835)    

Left: A series of wall monuments from chancel, some of which have been reproduced in close up.
 Above from left to right: George Eyre (1885) solicitor. 'This inscription was on the tomb of...' Edward Hale (1682)...buried in church yard...'. Charles Eyre (1869) Latin inscription


Brasses

John Bradstane  (1458)
Rector
William Branwhait (1495)
Master of the Hospital
Thomas Palmer (1599) & Katherine

There are many other brasses without figures, mainly inscriptions and shields; I have not included these in this survey. I refer the visitor to the Monumental Brass Society's survey series of books on this subject which are very complete.
 

Great Haseley 
St Peter

Top Left: William Leynthall (1471)
Top: Slab with foliated cross - 13th Century.
Top Right: William Butler (1444)
Left & Right: Two 13th cnetury military effigies

Great Milton - St Mary

Slab with foliated cross, late 13th century

Robert Eggersley & Wife c 1500

Great Tew - St Michael

Slab with foliated cross, late 13th century

Mary Anne Boulton (1829) by Chantrey

Fulbrook - St James

Left: Jordan Family (1637-72) good local work
Above: 14th century tomb chest in the church yard
Right: Thorpe Family 1695/8

 Hampton Poyle
 St Mary

 Military effigy of early 14th C

Minster Lovel - St Kenelm

Alabaster tomb chest and effigy of mid 15th century. Said to be William Lovell (1455) or his son John (1465). The shields were repainted in the 19th century.

Lewknor
St Margaret

Richard Paul Jodrell (1831)
Marble by P. Bazzanti of Florence 1833

Northmoor - St Denis

John de la Moore

Cross slab of the early 14th century

Isabella de la Moore (carved by c 1350)

Nuffield
Holy Trinity

Benert Engliss (c 1360)

North Leigh - St Mary

 Thomas Beckingham (1431) brass

William Lenthall (1596) & Wife Of slate, stone & alabaster


 

 

 

 Sir William Wilcote (1410) & Wife Alabaster effigies. Tomb chest is of stone  
City of Oxford
Christ Church Cathedral
Oxford Cathedral is a cathedral of the Modern Foundation, the see being created in 1546.
At the Reformation it was an Augustinian Priory, dedicated to St Frideswide

Robert Burton (1639)
The inscription refers to Melancholy

Ela (1297)
Daughter of William Longspée
Fragment of coffin lid from Osney Abbey. Inscription.

Elizabeth de Montacute (1354)

William Goodwin (1620)
Note the book and funerary objects each side strung with ribbons

John Bisshop (1588-9)
brass

Sir John Nowers (?) Early 15th Century
Alabaster and wood repairs

St Frideswide's Shrine (1289)
Reconstructed 1889-91 by J Park Harrison

Shipton-under-Wychwood
St Mary

17th century Jacobean wall monument but no inscription

Sir John Read (1769)

Fragment of 14th century effigy

Sir John Read (1773)

Spelbury
 All Saints

Robert Lee, 4th Earl of Litchfield (1776)

 Helen Matilda Story (1879)

George Henry Lee, 3rd Earl of Litchfield (1772) by the architect H Keene and the sculptor W Tyler.

Sir Edward Lee, 1st Earl of Litchfield
(1716)

Sir Henry Lee (1631) & Wife
Note the kneeling children at the head and feet and the infants recumbent at the side of the main effigies

Stanton Harcourt - St Michael



Above & Right (detail)
Sir Phillip Harcourt & Wife Alabaster & black marble.






Lady Maud Harcourt (c. 1400), daughter of Lord Grey of Rotherfield. Painting is modern except scroll on soffit of arch.


Top:
Sir Robert Harcourt (1471) & Wife. Alabaster; the painting is of the 19th century.
Bottom:
Sir Simon Harcourt (1547). Black marble top. This has been reduced in length.


Sir Robert Harcourt (c 1490)
Grandson of the Sir Robert left. Alabaster;  the painting is of the 19th century. Alongside is a second tomb chest with indent of brass cross (14th century)
St Edburg Part of the shrine of between 1294-1317 removed from Bicester Priory at the Dissolution by Sir James Harcourt, Sheriff of the County. Purbeck marble canopy on stone base Sir William Vernon Harcourt
Plaster model for statue in lobby of Houses of Parliament
Field Marshal William, 3rd Earl Harcourt.  Plaster model for Sievier's statue of 1832   in St George's Chapel, Windsor George Simon Earl Harcourt (1809) Bishop Edward Vernon Harcourt (1847) by M Nobel 1858
Steeple Ashton
St Peter & St Paul

 Judge Sir Francis Page (1741)
& Lady Page by Henry Scheemakers 1730

Steeple Barton
St Mary

Phillip Constable 1664

Thame - St Mary

Sir John Clerke (1539)

Merrial Coates (1644)

Swinbrook - St Mary  


Far Left: Sir Edmund Fettiplace (1613) He reclines on the top tier; below are is father and grandfather.
Left:
Edmund Fettiplace (1686) and his two predecessors. Marble and alabaster by William Bird of Oxford (signed)
Above: John Croston (1470) & Three Wives Brass
Right:
Anthony Fettiplace (1510) 
Far Right: Joan Goddard (1623) pillar monument


Edward Fettiplace (1656)  Sir George Fettiplace (1743) By James Annis  Thomas (1767) & Frances (1764) Fettiplace By Richard Westmacott (1799 Top:Lt Phillimore & crew of P514 submarine run down and sunk by convoy, 21st June 1942
Bottom:
George & Sophia Fettiplace (n/d) twins who were born after death of their father
Waterperry - St Mary

Centre Left: Anna Maria Rooke Greaves (1821) by Chantrey; Far Left: Unknown military effigy mid 14th C; Centre Right: Sir Francis Curson (1610) & Wife; Far Right: Walter & Isabel Curson (c 1440)

Wiggington - St Giles

Male Civilian Effigy of the 14th Century. He is flanked by two small figures of his children - an unusual feature.

Witney - St Mary

 

 

Male Civilian & Female Effigies of 14th Century. To the right is a close up of the former.

Yarnton - St Barthomew

Sir Thomas Spencer (1684), Wife & Children. Attributed by Mrs Esdaile to John Nost. The father stands between his wife and son while their daughters sit on either side. Compare the Digby monument at Sherbourne, Dorset

   
 

With thanks to Miss Sally Badham FSA, Dr David & Mrs Jane Kelsall and Joan & Robert Tucker for providing most of the photographs on this page. Those from Dorchester and Ewelme were taken by the Web Editor.

Return to Gazetteer page click here