SURREY


Cheam - The Lumley Chapel
The Lumley Chapel is in the church yard of St Dunstan's Church. It dates from 1018 and was originally the chancel of the medieval church of which it is the only remaining part; in the 1580's John Lord Lumley converted it into a memorial chapel for his family. St Dunstan's itself is Victorian and described as 'Large and dull'.
The Chapel is locked but the key may be obtained from Whitehall, a nearby Tudor cottage, or from St Dunstan's Church office during working hours. There is a small deposit to pay for this key.
The Chapel is in the care of The Churches' Conservation Trust
Series of Medieval Brasses

Heraldic brasses Civilan (c. 1390) demi-figure John (1450) & Joan (1458) Compton demi-figures William Woodward (1459)  demi-figure

Above: Heraldic brasses
Centre Top: Palimpsest reusing a 15th century brass. Note the part of a lady's figure at the base and...
Centre Bottom: Thomas Fromonde (1542)& family
Far Right: Ralph de Cheyham (1390)

Monument of Jane Fitzallen, Lady Lumley (1577)
It consists of three alabaster panels and was designed in 1590 but is incomplete
Far Right: The whole monument
Far Left:
(detail) Panel with kneeling figure of Lady Jane Lumley
Above:
(detail) Two panels with kneeling figures of children

The monument was made in 1592, before her death. Very good alabaster.
Monument of Elizabeth Darcy, Lady Lumley (1603)
Monument to John Lord Lumley (1609)

The builder of the chapel. Photographs show the monument itself and details of the heradry from it.
Urns  
Fanny Maria Davenport (1796) Maria Sanxay (1777), her brother, Edmund Antrobus (1787), her husband, Edmund Sanxay (1787) & their youngest daughter, Mary Sanxay (1788) Martha Pybus (1802), Charles Small Pybus (1810) (possibly her son)   Thomas (1765) & Jane (1799) Dubis, their daughter Sarah Smith (1817), the latter's husband, Cpt Charles Smith and the latters' youngest daughter Sarah (1820) Ann Lady Fletcher (1791) Widow of Brig-Gen Sir Robert Fletcher Knt
Cartouches  
 
Frances Peirson (1693) aged 2 years, 8 months. 'Five foot &A Half North from this pillar lies Interrd' Francis Roger Francis (1688) James (1695) & Margaretta (1714) Bovey   Samuel (1719) & Ann (1728)Pierson; her mother Mary Elsey (1697). Their daughter's monument is to the far left.
Wall Monuments
Above:Charles Lord Stourton, Baron of Stourton 1753
Right Top: Henry Thomas, 4th Earl of Carrick & Visc. Ikerrin (1846 @ 12)
Right Bottom: John Kempson (1799 @ 77); his wife Mary (1800 @50); their son Edward (1777 @ 21); and 2 sons and 3 daughters (unamed) who died in infancy.


Top: 'In the Vault beneath, near the Body of of the honored Father of her Huſband...' Hon.ble Charlotte Yates (1802) Daughter of John late Lord St John of Bletsoe.
Bottom:  Clement Kynnersley (1813) & daughter Maria (1800)
Top: "READER THIS MARBLE WILL CONSVME LIKE YE BODIES IT COVER BVT WHILE IT ENDVERS KNOW THAT IT RESERVES YE MEMORIE OF A SAINT DEPARTED EDMVND BARRET ESQ SERIANT OF YE WINE CELLAR TO KING CHARLES..." 1631
Bottom Left: John Agnew (1812)
Bottom Right: John Antrobus (1813)
       
Far Left: John Pybus (1789) Public servant in India. He married Martha and they had 2 sons and 6 daughters but only the dates of death of the latter are given: Catharine (1756 infant), Anne (1791), Martha (1788), Margaret-Clive (1761 infant), Elizabeth (infant), Catharine-Amelia (1776)
Above Left: Sir Joseph Yates (1770) Judge
Above Central: Leonard Hammond (1787) & wife Mary (1795)
Above Right: Mary Thornbury (1844)



Top: Rev Henry Peach (1813 @ 72) 35 years rector of this parish. And his wife Jane (1804 @ 50); their children: Edward (1806 @ 17), Amelia Catherine (1820 @ 24) & H.y Edm.d (1835)
Bottom: Robert Devey A.M. (1836)
Above: 'An Only Daughter' (unamed) of W & Gilpin (1762-1767)
Right: Philip Antrobus (1816) & Sir Edmund Antrobus Bart (1826)

East Horsely - St Martin
Brasses
Above far right: Thomas & Jone Snelling Their brasses are lost but 8 sons and 5 daughters remain as well as the inscription: 'Of your charity pray for the soules of Thomas Snellinge late of the parishe of East Horsley and Jone his wife which Thomas deceased the xxviii day of May in the yere of our lorde MCCCCCIIII. and for the soules of the faders and maders of the foresaid Thomas and Jone with all thyre childerne on those sowlys Almyghty Jhu have mercy Amen.'


Above:
Robert Brantingham (c 1400)  'Hic iacet Robertus Brentyngham, Frater Reverendi Patris Thome'

Right:
John (1498) & Alice Snelling. 'Pray for the sawlis of john snellying and alys hys wyfe the whych descecyd the vii day of ffevery in the yer of our lorde MC CCC LXXXXVIII on whose sawlis god have mercy'
Left: James ffox (1753)
Above & below: The Cornwallis Monument
The Cornwallis Monument



Monument to Thomas (1597) & Katheryn Cornwallis (1626), who lie recumbent,  and to their two sons, Robert & Henry, who kneel at he head and foot of the tomb adjacent to their father. Above are the Cornwallis arms. Alabaster. The inscription reads:
'Here lyeth ye bodi of Thomas Cornwallis esq sometime penrioner and groom porter unto Queen Eliazabeth of Blessed Memory.
The Lady Katheryn his wife one of the daughters of Thomas Wryothesly Earle of Southampton and Lord Chancellor of England.
They had issu 2 sons the eldest Robert who dyed in France above ye age of 20 years, ye young Henry who dyed betwixt 2 and 4 years old. They were married together about 30 and after his decease she lived a widow a full 30 years and upwards and died on Aug 1626 of ye age of 85 years.'
Stoke d'Abernon - St Mary
The church is in the grounds of a private school and is open during the summer on Sundays 2.00 - 4.00 pm. Parking is in the lane.
Brasses

Immediate left and far left top and centre: Sir John d'Abernon the Elder (1277) The inscription reads: 'sir Johan Daubernovn chivaler gist icy Dev de sa Alme eyt mercy' (Here lies Sir John d'Abernon, knight. God have mercy on his soul. Amen'.)
Above and far left bottom: Sir John d'Abernon the Younger (1327), son of the above. His inscription is mainly lost but the fragments read: '...ici...g...eit merci... which was probably the same as that of his father.
These are very beautiful brasses and well worth seeing. Note particularly the development of the armour.


Above: Lady Anna Norbury (1464) 'Hic jacet dna Anna Norbury nup ux Henrici Norbury milit/ ac filia Willi Croyser qu' dam dni hi loci que obiit XII die II Octobr anno dni MCCCCIXIII cui ai'e ppciet due ame.' Note the four sons and four daughters in the folds of her skirt.

Far left: John Proud (1497) Rector 'Hic jacet Johen Prowd isti ecclic de quat/Rector ecclie de esthorsley qui obiit non die octobr A di MCCCCLXXXVII cujus as ppciet d'amen,' The figure is a replica of the lost original.
Near left:
Ellen Bray  (1516)  'Pray for the soule of Elyn bray dawter of S Edmond Bray Knyght and Jane hys wyfe whice Elyn dyed ye XVI day of Maij A M V XVI.' Baby in swadling clothes. The cross on her forehead indicates she was baptised.
Above:
Katherine Vincent (1654)
Right:
Rev Sir Frederick Vincent Bt (1883) Also his seconf wife Maria  Copley (1899) Buried at Esher, Surrey
Effigial
Monuments



'here lie in dust five signal virtues - strange that one sepulchre can hold them all! more strange that a single Sarah could exhibit them!
In one thing was our Sarah less than Abraham's. her days were few yet in all else true sarah, she has reached in paradise the bosom of a second Abraham all that of her was mortal rests where she as mortal prayed.'
Above: Part of child's effigy; this may be just part of a lost monument.
Left: Sarah Vincent (1608) She was the daughter of Amyas Paulet (jailer of Mary Queen of Scots) and first wife of Francis Vincent by whom she had nine children, who kneel below her effigy: Anthony, Amyas, Thomas, Elizabeth, Margaret,  Francis, Amyas, Edward and William; she died giving birth to the latter.
Left and above left: Sir Thomas (1613) & Jane Vincent (1619)  The inscription is recorded below
Above centre and right:
Sir John Norbury (1521) He founded the Norbury Chapel in 1485 after the Battle of Bosworthy; his original tomb was destroyed and this one constructed in 1633. The original and present inscriptions are recorded below. Compare the speling and sentiment of these two inscriptions.
Inscription on Vincent Tomb
'In obitum clarassimi viri Thomas Vincenti equitis avarti qui vitam comuntavit 14 10 An An Dni 1613 Aetatis 70 epicedium
'Time yet blotts out ye actions of ye good is fitt with watchfull care to be withstood which to prevent is offerd to your view no poets fantasie heers nought but true his bodie here ye earth doth thus inclose his purer soule in heaven hath repose religious and true zeale in him did breed due care to cloath ye poore and hungrie feed well tempered justice with sinceritie love to the good. the ill severitie with many moe such virtues now not rife did him possesse while he injoyde this life he fimrely praying said his last Amen is crownd by God and much renownd with men Vincet qui patitur.
'In obitum illustrissimae foeminae Jane Vincent uxoris Thomae Vincent equitis avarti quae ex hac vita comigravit 23 Jan An Dni 1619
'If to be wise, vertuous, and good be ye prime ornaments of noble bloud. If these be ensignes of a royall minde thow adst and lustre to thy sex and kinde these free born graces, ye were once in fee make us now happy in thy memory who though translated to transcendent glory livst fresh to us in this sublimed story we know in heav'n thou hast a glorious name yet wee'l in honour here preserve thy fame in spight of death; whose greedy envious eye aymes at us below, and not at thee on hie.'
Original Inscription on Norbury Tomb
'thye chauntre fwndyt bye John Norbery/ The fyrst prest was sit John pynnoke truly/ Under thys ston heth bred hys body/ Of whose soule jhu have mercy/ he depttyd owt of thys warlde and from us is gon/ In the yere of our lorde m v twenty and on/ The fyrst day of the monthe of August/ In the marce of jhu crist he puttys all hys trust: amen.'
Present Inscription
'Neere this place  lieth the interd body of ye noble knight Sir John Norbury  who was both Lord of this manor and founder of this Chapell: In rememberance and honour of whom his oulde monument beinge by injury of time demolish Sir Francis Vincent knight and Baronette linearly descended from him hath erected this Anno  1633.'
Wall & Other Monuments
Richard le Petit (1240) Frances Lyfield (1588) The monument incorporated a brass Sir Edgar Vincent (1941) Sir Francis Vincent (1735) and
other family members
 
  Frederick Abbiss Phillips (1908) Mary Jane Phillips (1842) Captain Thomas Smith RN (1847) Sir HowardVincent (1905)
Further Information on the Above Monuments (other details pending)

Richard le Petit
Under the archway bewteen two chapels is the tomb of the first recorded rector, Richard le Petit who died in 1240. The insciption on his slab translates as  'Sir Richard the Little, formerly parson of this church, lies here, Jesus Christ receive his soul'
Lady Frances Lyfield (Bray)
'Here lieth buried the body of Frances the wife of Thomas Lyfelde esquire owner of this manor of Stoke Dawborne in the county of Surrey...' There then follows detailed genealogical information attempting to go back to the Norman Conquest but which gives us no further information about Lady Frances.
Sir Edgar Vincent
'Here rest the ashes of Sir Edgar Vincent 1st Viscount d'Abernon FRS and 16th Baronet. Soldier Scholar Member of Parliament Ambassador to Germany 1920-1926. His fine presence and far reaching intellect his wit and wisdom illuminated all he said and did and entiched the lives of his friends.
'He died on All Saints Day 1941 in the 85th year of his age.'

Sir Francis Vincent

'To the memory of Sir Francis Vincent Bart who died in 1735 aged 90 years and Dame Rebecca his wife, she died in 1726 aged 80 years, and of  Sir Francis Vincent Bart who died in 1757 aged 72.
'And of Dame Elizabeth his wife who died in 1751 aged 66. And of Elizabeth first wife of the present Sir Francis Vincent who died on the 22nd Nov 1744 in the 25th year of her age.
'And of Francis their son who died young
'And of Dame Mary Vincent his second wife who died 16th August 1757. She was daughter of the Hon Lieu General Howard of Great Bookham in this county by whom she had four sons Francis, Henry, Dormer, George and Thomas and one daughter Mary. George died before her.
'The present Sir Francis Vincent has erected this monument as a small tribute of his affection and gratitude in 1762'
Frederick Abbiss Phillips
'He tried to make the humble glad' Also his wife Frances Elizabeth (1925), his son Noel McGigor (1943) and his daughter Norah Locan (1945)
Mary Jane Phillips
'Sacred to the memory of Mary Jane, widow of William Phillips esq who died at Stoke d'Abernon House July 18th 1842 aged 52 and whose remains are deposited in a vault on the south side of this church yard.
'This tablet is erected by her affectionate and grateful children in rememberance of a most devoted mother, "who being dead yet speaketh"'
Captain Thomas Smith RN
'In a vault neat this spot lie the reamins of Captain Thomas Smith, Royal Navy, of Woodlands in this parish. Youngest son of the late Hugh Smith esq of Stoke House who departed this life September 19th 1847 aged 57 years. This sacred memorial is erected as a small tribute of affectionate devotion by his deeply afflicted widow.
'And his widow Isabella Smith b 6th August 1798. died 26th August 1884.'
Sir Howard Vincent
'The clock in the tower of this church was erected to the loving memory of....by his grateful brother Sir Edgar Vincent.
Also Hugh Smith (1831) wall mounted sarcophagus. Snake biting tail on the lid.


With many thanks to Amanda Miller of Amanda's Arcade for all the above photographs

 

Return to previous ('Monuments') page click here