WILTSHIRE

Salisbury Cathedral
Berwick St Leonard Broad Hinton Farley Edington Fisherton Delamere Great Wishford  Lydiard TregozMalmesbury  Mere  Ogbourne St Andrew  Ramsbury  Salisbury - St Thomas Stockton  Teffont Evias Upton Lovell  West Lavington  Wilton

Berwick St Leonard
St Leonard
Limited parking at the bottom of the lane

Right:
George Howe (1647) & Dorothy with three  children, George Grobham, John, and Margaret Grobham.

Above: This George Grobham Howe  (ob 1676) married Elizabeth, daughter of Sir Harbottle Grimstone, and the above is a memorial to six of their children who died in infancy. They were survived by James, Dorothy, Anne, Elizabeth and Mary.

Broad Hinton - St Peter ad Vincula
From left to right: John & Winifred Glanville (1673) / Mrs Francis Stone (1714) / William Glanville (1730) / Col. William Glanville Alabaster possibly by William Wright of Charing Cross. A Latin inscription is written in the slate around the niche. A Royalist, he was killed in battle at Bridgewater; his own armour is displayed in the church.
There are other monuments of interest in the church including three of the sixteenth century..
Farley - All Saints
Charles Fox (1704) Elizabeth Fox (1696) Sir Stephen Fox (1716) He was the builder of the church. The inscription appears to be in old French
Edington
Priory Church of St Mary, St Katharine & All Saints
Church is open during normal hours. Park in the large church car park in front of the church. Toilets in the car park only unlocked during services. Very loud organ.


These two stone military effigies were brought from Imber church around 1950. The inhabitants of Imber were evacuated in 1943 when the whole area was taken over for army training. When it became clear that the village would not be restored, some items were brought from the village church to Edington



The effigies date from the early 14th century. The lower effigies bears the arms of  Rous, lords of Imber, on his shield; it is likely that the upper effigy is a member of the same family. Although the effigies are of around the same date note the differences. The upper effigy sheaths his sword while the lowere holds his hands in prayer. The upper wear a helmet with a raised visor and which extends over his shoulders. The lower wears aitlettes attached to his shoulders - a rare feature. The mail is clearly carved on the upper effigy while it may well have been stamped in gesso, now worn away.




Above and below left:
Sir Ralph Cheney (c. 1401) and Joan (Pavely) The lid of the tomb chest has indents for two effigial brasses and four shields. To the west of the tomb chest is a doorway indicating that the structure may have been a chantry chapel. There is no inscription for this designations but the monuments bears the arms of Cheney and Pavely.


Above top and bottom: Possibly one of the Baynton family, his initials IB (or is it TB or W) are showed on the barrel - or tun - on which he rests his feet; tun being a rebus for last syllable of his name. Probably a monk of the priory.  Restored and repainted in 1969-70, although the effigy is badly worn. Note the tomb chest with quatrfoils containing tuns with leaves growing from them alternating with flower heads. Also an angel holding a tun on the canopy. Late 15th century





Sir Edward Lewis (1630) & Lady Anne (Beauchamp) (1664) Alabaster and marble. Note the rolled up mat on which Sir Edward rests, the drawn back curtains and the naked putto bringing a crown of glory. In front of the tomb chest are two angels, one praying and the other weeping, and five children kneeling in prayer. The date of Lady Anne's death was left blank and painted in later so the monument must date from shortly after her husband's death.



The children are all shown young as in 1630. Although they appear to be two boys and three girls, only the last is a girl: notice her cap. The younger two boys are dressed as girls as boys did at the time until the age of seven.

Sir Simon Richard Brissett Taylor (1815)  White marble by Chantrey


John Long (1748) ? Sarah Price (1796) & Edward Price (1806) ? Possibly Simon Taylor (1813)
Uncle of Sir Simon (above)
Illegible George Tayler (1816) & Ann (1808); Simon Tayler (1833) & Margaret (1849)





Left:
Monuments to the Tayler family (19th century); although the basic Gothick design is fairly common, the sculptor, White of Bath, has added kneeling figures of the family dressed in rustic clothing below, flanked on either side by standing angels. This may well be in imitation of he Lewis monument (above). Above the figures are written their initials.

Martin Tayler (1823) & his wife Anna Marie (1778)

And their children:

Two daughters who died in infancy.
Mary (1836)
Martha (1849)
William (1850)
George (1852)

Above the figures are their initials:

GT  WT  MT  MT  AMT  MT

  Great Wishford
St Giles
Open during daylight hours; park on road
'In the vaulte heere lyeth the bodie of Sir Richard Brogham knight, who enjoyed a happie lyfe 78 years and, having been married to Margaret , the daughter of William Whitemore of London, departed this transitory lyfe the 5th daye of July 1627' Margaret was born in 1576 and married Sir Richard in 1604; she is shown in widow's weeds. She remarried John St John of Lydiard a year after the death of her first husband. She was 10 years older than her second husband,  who had many children by his first wife, Anne, who died giving birth to her 23th child. Margaret had no children and there is a second monument to her at Lydiard.
Thomas (1386) and Edith de Bonham. She is shown unusually: kneeling in minature by the side of her husband. One of their sons became rector here and one of their daughters a nun at Wilton Abbey.
Next to the tomb under a mat is a worn brass to Thomas (1473) & Edith (1469) de Bonham and their nine children. She is said to have produced seven children in one birth. A Victorian copy of the original is shown nearby
Incidently the wooden chest, partly visible in the picture, is said to be an armada chest taken from the Spanish wreck at Hurst. Probably Jacobean.
Fisherton Delamere
St Nicholas
Left: Two infant children - boy and girl - of the vicar Thomas Crockford and his wife Joan. 1622.

Tablets, all to the Davis Family

Rev Henry Davis (1807) Rector of All Cannings, Wilts. by T King Bath
Augustine William Davis (1834) son of John and Ann, below
Rev Thomas Davis BCL (1830) Prebendery of the Cathedral, Rector of St Martin, Salisbury & and Vicar here. Also his wife Anna (1826) By Osmond Sarum
John Davis (1791) & Ann (1800)
William Davis (1865)
& Susanna (1840) and their daughter Ann Susanna (1787 at 8)
John Davis (1840)
Paid for rebuilding of the church. By Osmond Sarum

Ogbourne St Andrew - St Andrew
William & Elizabeth Goddard (1695) Anne Seymore (1687)
Lydiard Tregoze
St Mary
Church locked but key available from nearby house - Lydiard Park - during reasonable hours. Park in house grounds
       
Left top:Jane Hardyman (1761)
Left Bottom: Walter Hardyman (1774) The husband of the above.
 
Above: Anne Pleydell (1723)
Above:  John St John, Viscount Bolingbroke (1793) Above: Henry Pleydell (1684) 
 
'In the vault beneath this place lyes interred the body of John Lord Viscount St John who dyed ___ of November 1749 aged ___
And Ann Lady Viscount St John his wife who dyed ___ of July 1767 aged ___'
By Rysbrack. Gray and white marble. Above , but not shown, is a tall gray obelisk. This John St John rebuilt the nearby house.
       
Nicholas (1592) and Elizabeth St John  He served as MP for various constituencies but, being a protestant,  fell out of favour  in Mary's reign, being returned to parliament during that of Elizabeth. He and his wife had five children, one of which is the elder John below.
Family Tryptych of the St John Family
The inner panel was created in 1615 by Sir John St John, 1st Baronet and the outer part added in 1699. The kneeling couple represent  John St John (1594) and Lucy (Hungerford)(1627), parents of  Sir John who created the tryptych; they kneel on a tomb at the front of which are three coffins which represent their two other sons and daughter (Walter (1582-1597), Oliver (1586-1594) & Ellinor (1580)). To the left stand Sir John St John (1648) himself and his first wife Ann (Leighton)(1628); to the right stand his six sisters; they are Ann (1629), Lucy (1668), Katherine (1633), Barbara (1672), Jane (1654) & Martha (1600)
The outer panels show the family tree and the inscription reads:
'When conquering William won by force and sword: this famous island now called Brittons land;
Of Lydiard then was Ewyas only Lord, whose heir to Tregaz linck't in marriage band;
That Tregoz a great Baron in his age; by her hand issue the Lord Graundsons wife; whose daughter Patshull took in marriage, and Beachamp theirs with Beachamp happy life;
Was blessed with a daughter whence did spring, a heir to St John who did Lydiard bring;
Thus consle of tyme by Gods Almighty power, hath kept this land of Lydiard in one race.
Five hundred forty nine year and now more, where at this day is St Johns dwelling place;
Noe noe he dwells in heaven, whose anchored faith, fired on God accounted life but death'.
'Some Ancient remains of Sir Richard St George, knight Garter King of Arms relating to ye pedigree of St John written in ye year 1615 and now transcribed this present year 1694.'
Richard St George was the Baronet's uncle. The portrait at the top of the panel represents Margaret Beauchamp of Bletso; her first husband was Oliver St John, by whom she had 2 sons and 4 daughters and her second John Beauford, 1st Duke of Somerset with whom she had a daughter, Lady Margaret Beauford.


Sir John St John, 1st Baronet (1648) with his two wives, Anne (Leighton)(1628) and Margaret (Whitmore) (    ). She lies on the left side of her husband, holding her baby (Henry); she died two months after giving birth to Henry, who survived. This is the Sir John who stand in in triptych above. The monument is all of alabaster and was constructed in1634, that is, before his death.

Several children kneel around the tomb
     
(Sir) Giles Morpeson (1663), 'an eternallly notorious criminal', and his wife...  ... Katherine (St John) (1633) Sister of  the first baronet. The monuments was erected by her husband.
     
   
Captain Edward St John (1645) Son of first baronet. He was wonded at the Second Battle of Newbury and died and died six months later. 

Malmesbury Abbey
If you follow the signs to the Abbey, you will go round the by-pass; Park in the pay car park near the Abbey (reasonable cost) No entrance fee or charge for photography. Friendly welcome: good book shop and coffee shop

King Athelstan (939)
Athelstan was the grandson of the more famous Alfred; He is general regarded as the first actual king of England, rather than of Wessex.

This is the only effigy of a pre-conquest king in England; however the effigy is much later, dating from the 14th century. The tomb chest, which is empty, is later still. His original head has been removed at some time and another added. The canopy ('gablette') also looks a later addition. The King was probably buried under the high altar, which would have been situated in the now demolished chancel.


Left top:
Illegible
Left Bottom: Issac Watts (1789), William Watts (1793), Elizabeth Garlick (thier sister)(1798) & John Garlick (her husband)(1802)
 
Illegible Elizabeth George (1734) John Willis (1700)
Rev Robert Greenaway AM Rev Charles Pitt (1874)
Vicar here
Phœbe Lyne (1793); her husband, Edmund Lyne (1827); their son Cpt Edmund Lyne, (1818); & daughter, Elizabeth (1834). Edmund Ormond Lyne (1851), son of Cpt Lyne. John Garlick Lyne (1901), church warden; his wife, Elizabeth (1873) Mary (1723) & Absolom Thomson (1726)

Mere - St Michael
Immediate Right: William Chaffin
Right Centre: Charles Grove MD (1806); his wife, Elizabeth (1843); their children, Caroline (1795 @ 1), Thomas Henry (1800 @ 2) & Anne Elizabeth (1807 & 8)
Far Right: Rev Thomas Blundel (1861) & Carlotte (1855)


Far left: Sir John Bettesthorne (1398) Latin inscription
Left:
Sir John Berkeley of Beverstone (1426)
Above:
Lord Stourton (1463)

Ramsbury - Holy Cross


Above: Sir William Jones (1682) White & gray marbles, possibly by Jasper Lathan.
Right Centre:William Jones (1775) Coloured marbles
Far Right:
Jonathon Knackstone (1745)
There are several medieval monuments in the church, mostly fragmentary
 
Salisbury - St Thomas
Above top: Christopher (1628) & Ester Eyre
All the other are of Thomas (1628) & Elizabeth (1617) Eyre
 
Stockton - St John the Baptist
Church open during daylight hours. Park on road

Above and right: Lady early 14th century, probably the foundress of a chabtry for which the aisle was built. She unusually lies on her side but rather looks like sheis still recembent but turn on he side.
   

Elizabeth Poticary (1590)  brass plate from the monument to the left.
Her epitaph is recorded below:
Jerome Poticary (1596) & Elizabeth (1590)
Heareshe enterred lyes, depriv'd of breath, whose light of vertue once on earth did shyne: who life contemn'd, ne feared gastly death, whom worlde, ne worldly cares coulde cause reprise resolv'd to dye, with hope in heaven pleaced. Her Christ to see, whome lyuing shee embraced. In prayer servuent still, in zeale most strong in death delighting God to magnifye, how long wilt thou forgett me Lord. this song, in greatest panges was her sweet harmony. Forget thee: no: he will not thee forget: in booke of lyfe for aye they name is let.
Elizabeth Poticary wife of Hierom Poticary clothier deceased at ye age of   , 9th April an dni 1590.
John (1640) & Mary Topp
Far Left: Henry Greenhill (1708) Mariner and architect of HM Dockyards, Plymouth
Above Far Left: ledger stone of the above

Above Left: Alex Topp (1710/1) A Bristol merchant
Above Right: John & Elizabeth Topp Erected1664
Above Far Right: Rev David Price (1771) white and gray marble
Other Monuments
The Biggs Family: Henry (1818), his wife Diana (1819);their grandaughter Margarette Anne (1819); Mary Anne (1838), wife of Henry Godolphin Biggs; Mjr Arthur William Biggs (1840) youngest son of Harry Biggs; Harry Biggs (1836); his wife Margarette Anne (1861); Emma Yeatman (1811) daughter of Harry Biggs; Henry Goldophin Biggs (1877) Architectural tablet
John Terry (1625)
Black tablet surmounted by winged churub's head on marble backing. '...AND NOW IN HIS RIPE AGE OF LXX Ӑ° ĎI MDCXXV, SLEEPETH HAPPILY IN THE PVBLIQVE COEMETERIE OF THIS CHVRCH TILL THE LAST TRVMPET SHALL AWAKE HIM TO A IOYFULL RESVRECTION IN CHRIST
Rev Roger Frampton MA (1854) & his wife Harriot (1872) Architectural tablet
Rev Thomas Miles MA (1863) Architectural tablet
Sisters Mary Anne (1807 at 39)  & Anna Rebecca Pinchard (1809 at 46) Two separate oval tablets on black backing

Teffont Evias - St Michael & All Angels
Church open during daylight hours. Park in lane outside
Henry Ley (1624) and his sons William (1624) and Mathew (1632) The father lies higher
Johannes Mayne (1726) Emily Harriette Fan de Salis (1896) Also her husband William Fan de Salis (1896) She may have written cookery books and he was the son of 4th Count de Salis-Soglio and a barrister. 'Here lyeth the body of Mrs Mary Phipp relict of John Phipp Minister who deceased the 9 day of April Anno Dom 1691 aged 80 John Thomas Mayne FRS (1843) Lord of the Manor and Patron of the Church Mary Anna Start (1826) She died at Teffont house age 13.
Upton Lovell  - St Augustine of Canterbury
Open during daylight hours; park at willage halls opposite
'In memory of Percy Richard Barrington Brown Rector of Ypton Lovell 1936-1948 who died the 29th day of April 1948 Unknown priest c 1460
Late 14th century knight, note the unusual feature of the closed visor. Possibly John 5th Lord Lovell 1408
Also: John Raxworthy (1776), his wife Mary (1774) and their son John (1834) and his wife Dionysia (1819). Also Thomas Raxworthy (1877) and his wife Louisa (1840) Architectural tablet
West Lavington - All Saints
Top left: Margaret Hunt (1729)
Top centre:
Thomas Hunt (1732)
Right: Henry Danvers (1654) White marble, possibly by A Storey
Wilton - St Mary & St Nicholas
Above left: Lord Herbert of Lea (1861) and right:  The Countess of Pembroke (1856), his mother; they were the founders of the church. Designed by Wyatt; carved by John Birnie Philip.



Left lower and above : William Sharp (1626) & Wife.
Left lower: Detail of monument to the 11th Earl of Pembroke (1826) By Sir Richard Westmacott Snr.

Wilton - St Mary
(Old Church)
Above: A large collection of wall monuments in the church

Left:Thomas Mell (1625) 'Once servante to The Right Honorable William, Earl of Pembrokwafterwards to Kinge James & Kinge Charles...'







 

With many thanks to photographer Amanda Miller of Amanda's Arcacia for kindly providing most of the photographs of the monuments in Salisbury Cathedral  at Wilton and several other churches Also to Dr Clive Easter of the Council of the Church Monuments Society for supplying photographs of the tablets in Salisbury and those in other churches above. Those from Malmesbury and Edington are by the Web Master.

Return to previous ('Monuments') page click here