Astley Badsey Beoley Bockleton Bredon Bretforton Bromsgrove Croome D'Abitot Cropthorne Elmley Castle Great Witley Hallow  Kempsey Kidderminster Leigh Lindridge Smethwick Spetchley Stockton-on-Theme Tenbury Wells Wichenford Wickhamford  Worcester Cathedral
Astley - St Peter
Robert (1573) & Anne Blount. She was the daughter of Hugh Fisher & jane Wall of Emley Lovet. Four children depaicted on the sides of the tomb chest: Margaret, Thomas, Walter & Elizabeth. Anne held s prayer book with the quotation: 'O Lord Consider our desire'. 'Here lieth the body of Robert Blount who deceased 1575 and Anne his wife being yet living desires God to continue her life'. The Blounts paid fines as Catholic recusants.
Walter Blount (1561), son of Thomas Blount of Kinlet & Isabel Acton (1562)  (Walter is the younger brother of John Blount, monument at Kinlet, Salop). The children represented around the tomb chest are shown below.
Richard Francis Margery Joyce Izabel
Badsey - St James

Above: Richard Hoby (1617), Wife and family. Whole monument and details. Two of the figures are headless but the monument retains some of its polychrome. One of the kneeling figures is now recumbent: rearrange the legs and you will see its original kneeling position.
Left: William Jarrett (1685)

Bockleton - St Michael
Top & bottom left: Richard Barnaby (1597) & Mary (Abington/Habington)(1574) Sandstone. Note the helmet which is positioned between the heads of the main figures.
Bottom right: William Wolstenhulme Prescott (1865)  He contracted a fever after tending his dying gamekeeper and died at twenty-one: the scene on the side panel of the tomb chest refers to this incident. White marble by Woolner 1867
Bredon - St Giles

Above: Effigies of William and Catherine Reed and daughter (14th century) on tomb chest in recess
Coffin lid with cross and bust; now upright. Early to mid 14th century.
Far right top:
Tombstone of Dorothy Sutton (Brydges) (1693)
Far right bottom:
John Prideaux, Bishop of Worcester (1650) He was ejected from his see by the Long Parliament

Sir Giles Reed (1611) and Lady Catherine. Their children kneel in adjoining structures. Details show the effigies, those of the children and the epitaph (Latin) Alabaster

Bretforton - St Leonard
John (1768) & Mary (1741/2)
'they both lie within this pew'
Richd Price (1723)
'...did...give and bequeath to ye Minister & Poor...ye sume of Twenty Pounds forever...to be Distributed yearly upon Good ffriday ten shillings to ye Minister for Preaching and ten shillings to ye Poor in Bread...'
'In the same vault lie the remains of Elizabeth daughter of the Venble Archdeacon John Timbrill DD & Elizabeth his wife, who died February 12th 1827 Age 9 months.
Also Robert Edward their son who died April 11th 1832 age 10 months'

Bromsgrove - St John the Baptist

Sir Humphrey Stafford (1440) and Wife alabaster effigies on tomb chest (shown left)
Sir John Talbot of Albrighton (1501) and Two Wives alabaster effigies on tomb chest (shown right)

Also but not shown:
Male effigy

Female effigy
Effigy (in churchyard)
Lady Talbot of Grafton Manor (1517) alabaster
George Lyttelton (1600) semi-reclining effigy on elbow
Bishop Hall of Bristol (1710) tablet with putto head

Beoley - St Leonard

Monuments to William Sheldon (1570) & Wife &Ralph Sheldon (1613) & Wife The former started the first tapestry workshop in England
Chaddesley Corbett - St Cassian
Above: Mrs Packington (1657) aged 27 'A Wife and Widowe Rare'
Left: Thomas Lees (1847) surgeon, buried at Rochdale; his wife Mary Ann (1834) 'buried in this churchyard'; Edward Jackson MD FRCS (1889) 'buried at Leamington.
Above: Humfrey Pakington (1637); his daughter Anne Lady Audeley; her 'sonne' Henry
Right: Elizabeth Holt (1647)
Left: Willaim Wheeler (1817) solicitor; his daughter Anne Harwood (1847) ; her husband Rev Thomas Harwood (1856)

Cropthorne - St Michael
Above: Edward Dineley & Wife (1646); the monument to Francis Dineley & Wife (1624) can be seen in the background.
Details of these two monuments can be seen to the right.
Other Monuments
Francis Dingley (1816); his nephew, Francis Dingley (1821) B&W Tablet
Samuel Dingley (1801); his wife Mary (1807). Samuel Dingley Jnr (1856); his wife Esther (1847); their daughter Mary (1818 age 6) B&W  Tablet
Francis Goodyere Dineley Commander RN (1908) Simple tablet with arms
Richard & Mary Dingley (both 1834) & others. Simple B&W tablet
Croome D'Abitot
St Mary Magdelene

Thomas 1st Baron Coventry (1639) He was Lord Keeper of the Great Seal. Note the mace and the several allegorical figures; Justice holds the seal. Attrib to workshop of Nicholas Stone.
Far Left: Thomas 2nd Baron Coventry (1661) Attrib to Joshua Marshall
Left, above & Right: Lady Coventry

Sir Henry Coventry (1686) by William Kidwell  Brough from the crypt of St Martin-in-the-Fields c 1915 George William 6th Earl Coventry (1809) by James Bacon the Younger  Above: George 7th Earl Coventry (1834) 
Below: John (1852) 2nd son of 7th Earl
Above: George William Viscount Deerhurst (1927) Eldest son of 9th Earl 
Below: George William 9th Earl Coventry (1930)
  Left: George William Reginals Victor 10th Earl Coventry. Kia in France 1940 

Note: The church dates from 1763 and is by Lancelot (Capability) Brown, who removed the earlier monuments from the medieval church and reset them here. The earldom started in 1697 and the 6th Earl was responsible for the current church.
Elmley Castle - St Mary Despite the title this is a village and not a castle

The Savage Monument
William  (1616) & Giles Savage (1631) & the latter's wife, Mary (1647)  
Attributed to Samuel Baldwin
Note: Lady Mary holds a baby, four children knee at the feet and the stag's head (also at the feet) with an arrow piercing the neck. There are two back plates to this monument: one is shown on the right.
Left: First Earl of Coventry (1699) Marble by William Stanton (shortly after 1700)
The second earl refused to have this monument erected in Croome d'Abitot church, the funerary chapel of the Coventry family. His reason is revealed by the improper achievement of arms and false epitaph on the monument.
'Or, on a chief sable, three escallops of the field a crescent gules for difference'. These are quite legally the arms of the Grahams of Norton Conyers co. York, but are implaed with those of Coventry, implying that his second wife was gentry, a Graham, and armigerous.
The second earl maintained that his fathers second wife was the daughter of Richard Grimes a common waterman, and that she had been a servant of the Coventries, and maid to the Lady Winifred his mother. Apparently Gregory King, Lancaster Herald of the College of Arms had directed the arms to be placed on the monument, and it is interesting that he married for his second wife Frances Grimes the Countess’s sister!

So by thSt Philip & St Jamesis ‘scam’ both the earl’s second wife, and Lancaster himself by association, had a meteoric rise in the Social Register.
From the 'Historical Register' April 12th, 1724
“Dy’d Elizabeth Countess Dowager of Coventry, relict of Thomas, Earl of Coventry, after whose death she marry’d Thomas Savage esq.,. She was a fortunate lady, being but of mean extraction, daughter [ it should be sister] of .... Grimes, a lighterman on the river Thames, and household sevant to the earl who marry’d her”

Left: Lady known only by initials EG

Above: Ann Fetyplace (1609)
Great Witley St Michael
Thomas Lord Foley, Baron Foley of Kidderminster  (1732) MP then elevated to the upper house. Gray and white  by Rysbrack 1743. '..one of the largest funerary monuments of the 18th century in England.' (Pevsner) The figures are those of the decease, his widow, Mary (Strode) with child, two further children above (?) and two standing allegorical figurs
St Philip & St James
Edward Hall (1616)
Kempsey - St Mary
Mrs Elizabeth Eaton (1790)
by William Stephens of Worcester
Sir Thomas Foley (1821)
by J Stephens
Directly above and above left: Sir Edmund Wylde (1620)
Kidderminster - St Mary
Left & Centre Top: Lady, late 15th century, said to be Joyce Beauchamp (1473) Note the fan vaulting under the canopy
Right & Centre Bottom: Sir Hugh Chokesey (1445) & Wife Alabaster
Above & Centre Top: Thomas Blount (1568) & Wife Alabaster. Note the row of children on the back wall Above Lower: Sir Edward Blount (1630) & Two Wives Alabaster Above Top: Henry Toye
Above Bottom: Sir Rapj Clare (1670)
Leigh - St Eadburga
Edmund Coles (1606) 'a man of bad character' Until the 19th century he wore a real leather skull cap
William (1615) & Mary Coles kneeling effigies
Essex Devereux (1639)
Note the little girl sitting on the ledge below
John & Mary Baker (1706) & son Walter

Walter Deverus (c1640) Alabaster
St Lawrence
Rev Arthur Onslow, Dean of Worcester (1817) By Sir William Smith of Eardiston
St Andrew
' Of your cheryte pray for the sowlhs of Wyllyam Parker, Sebyll and Elizabeth hys wyfys yw whych Wyllyam died the xxy of Febyere in the yere of owre Lord God m.ccccc and Viii ' 'The tombe of Thomas Walshe esquier Lorde of this manour and patron of this church who departinge this life at London the 21 of November, his bodye was hither translated the 21 of December AD 1593 by his cosine jarmaine Thomas Walshe gent his sole executor the erector of this tombe' Rare painted tomb.

Mrs Dorothy Parks who gave land for the chapel, charity school & vicarage

John Hinckley (1740) & Esther (1740)
No Dedication

John Reynolds (1820) & Martha (1791)

William Powell (verger) (1918) & Ann (1918)
Henry A C Case (1870) & Eliza (1901)
Mary Stubbs (1818) & daughters Amy (1821) & Hannah (1828)  Thomas Hanson (1800) & Anna Maria (1815)  Jonathan Grundy (1801) & Hannah (1815). Their son John (1801); Thomas Grundy & Elizabeth (1827); their daughter Eliza (1837) & her husband Henry Goodrich Willet (1857)  Rev Edward Patteson (1796)  John James Idinius (1820) 

Spetchley - All Saints
Sergeant Sir Robert Berkely (1652)
Justice of the King's Bench. He supported Charles I in the ship money case.. Black & white marble.
Sir Rowland Berkeley (1611) and Katharine (Haywood) Alabaster. Monument and various details
Thomas Berkeley (1693) & Anne (1692) Richard Berkeley (1694) & Elizabeth Blake (1708) ledger stone of Thomas Berkely (1719)
Tenbury Wells - St Mary
13th century knight (?John or Robert Sturmy) c. 1300 minature knight; cross legged and holding large heart, feet on dog. Found in rubbish heap in 1814; now in Easter Sepulchre. ?son of left figure. William Godson (1822) By Bacon jnr and Manning
Thomas Acton (1546) and Mary (Lacon)(1564) Their sons, Lancelot and Gabriel, both of whom died young, with their daughter Joyce kneel aroud the tomb. Alabaster
Wichenford - St Lawrence
Left Bottom: John Washbourne (1615) & Wife Children kneel against the tomb chest (not shown)
Left Top & Above: John & Anthony Washbourne & Wives. Erected 1632. The earlier John was the father of this John and the latter the father of Anthony. Wood

St John the Baptist

Above: Jane Sponer (1584)
Right: Sir Samuel and Sir Edwyn Sandys (both 1626) and their Wives. Alabaster

Worcester Cathedral

There is no entry fee; there is a charge (2009) for photography of £3.00 and for  video recorders and tripods £5.00

Nave - South Aisle   Nave  Nave -North Aisle  North Transept  South Transept  Choir  North Choir Aisle  South Choir Aisle 
North Retrochoir Aisle and North-East Transept  South Retrochoir Aisle and South-East Transept  Cloisters Retrochoir  Lady Chapel
Nave - South Aisle
Bishop Thomas (ob 1689) Top: Sir Thomas Lyttleton
Bottom: Thomas James (1804)
Top & Bottom:  A Prior of the 14th Century
The effigy has been set in a late 13th Century recess
Bishop Gauden (1662)
originally at back of high altar
Top:  Sir Thomas Street (1696) by Wilton 1775-80
Bottom to the Left : John Bromley
Far Left: Col Sir Henry Walton Ellis (1815) He was killed in the Battle of Waterloo. By Bacon Jnr
Above Left: Sir Thomas Lyttelton (1650) & Wife (1666) B&W Marble by Thomas Stanton 
Above Right: Mrs Warren (1792) by Ricketts
Far Right:
Richard Jolly (1803) By Bacon Snr
Bishop Parrie (1616)
His effigy is set in a 13th Century Recess
Bishop Freake (1591)
by Anthony Tolly (signed)
Richard Woolfe (1803)
Sgraffito plate
Bishop Johnson (1774)
by Nollekens (signed)
Bishop Blandford ( 1675)

Above left: Bishop Thornborough ( 1641) Erected in 1627 (i.e well before his death) but never actually completed
Above right: Dean Eedes (1596)
Right: Robert Wilde (1608) & Wife
Above left & right: A Beauchamp & Wife (c 1400)
Nave - North Aisle  

Bishop Philpott (1892) by Sir Thomas Brock. This was originally in the South Transept but is now rather tucked away at the back of the aisle, surrounded by chairs Bishop Hurd (1808) by W H Stephens Top: Mrs Godfreye (1613)
Bottom:  John Moore (1613) & Family
c 1640 The main inscription was painted on the wreath; above the incription is in Greek Bishop Bollingham (1576)
top of page
North Transept South Transept
Bishop Hough (1746) by Roubiliac. Dr Physick calls this the most important monument in the Cathedral Bishop Fleetwood (1683) Black & white marble Bishop Stillingfleet (1699)
with 2 putti heads
Sir Thomas Street (1696) by Wilton 1775-80 Mrs Hall (1794)
Bp Philpott's monument is now at the west end of the North Aisle
Above, Top Right & Bottom Right: King John (1216) The Purbeck marble effigy is c. 1230 and the tomb chest c. 1529. This is the earliest effigy in the country to an English king.
Left & Below: Chantry chapel and tomb chest (no effigy) of Prince Arthur (1502), elder brother of Henry VIII. The work on this began in 1504
North Choir Aisle South Choir Aisle
Bishop Maddox (1759) by Prince Hoare. Black & white marble Rev Dr Marriot by T. King of Bath William Burslem (1820) by Westmacott Jnr. It is unfortunate that this monument is partly hidden behind a screen containing steps to the organ console Mrs Margaret Rae (1772) by I F Moore
North Retrochoir Aisle and North-East Transept
Top: Knight of early 14th Century Purbeck Marble
Bottom: Bishop de Braunsford (ob ? 1394)
Alcove containing the above Bp Cobham's effigy Top: Bishop de Cobham (1327)
Bottom: Bishop c 1300 Purbeck Marble
Alcove containing Bp de Braunsford's effigy  Lady of mid 13th Century Purbeck Marble 
top of page
 South Retrochoir Aisle & South-East Transept  Cloisters
 Above: Knight - mid 13th Century. The arms shield have been painted in much later times
Above Right: Sir Gryffyth Ryce (1523) On the tomb chest are two modern brasses by Hardiman
Below: Bishop Gifford (1302) & Lady of the Gifford family (c 1300)
These effigies are set in the substructure  of  Prince Arthur's Chantry and difficult to photograph. To the right are Hollis's remarkable etchings of them.
I did not locate the two Purbeck ladies referred to in Pevsner (2009) Far right - ecclesiastic in cloisters. Is this the effigy Hollis saw?
  Top Left: Lord Lyttelton (1878) White Marble on alabaster base; by J Forsyth
Top: said to be Prior Moore (1525) In alcove at back of high altar.
Top Right: Earl of Dudley (1888) White Marble on alabaster base; by J Forsyth
Left: Charlotte Elizabeth Digby (1825) White marble by Chantrey
Right: Dean Peel (1877) back of high altar, alabaster, incised cross with Signs of Evangelists
  Lady Chapel   
Two bishops' effigies of Purbeck Marble. That on the left is said to be Bishop William de Blois   (1236); that on the right, Bishop Walter de Cantelupe (1266). Note the difference in the relief. 
top of page

 With many thanks to Dr John Physick. Vice-President and formerly President of the Church Monuments Society, for allowing the use of his photographs of some the monuments in Worcester Cathedral; others are by the publicity officer. Thanks again to Sally Badham for the photograph at Elmley Castle; and to Dr John Davis and Jean McCreanor also for the remaining  photographs. Also to Joan & Bob Tucker. The etchings are from Hollis's book.

Return to previous ('Monuments') page click here