YORKSHIRE
THE NORTH RIDING
Alne  Amotherby Ampleforth Appleton-le-Street Bedale Bulmer Catterick Coverham Abbey Danby Wiske East Harsley Gilling   East Grinton Felixkirk  Forcett   Hauxwell Hornby  Ingleby Arncliffe Jervaulx Abbey  Kirby Sigston Kirkby Fleethem Kirkby-in-Cleveland Kirklington Masham Melsonby New Malton Nunnington  Pickering  Pickhill  Sheriff Hutton Slingsby South Cowton Stainton Stonegrave Sutton on the Forrest Thornton-le-Dale Wensley West Tanfield Whorlton-in-Cleveland Wycliffe Yarm
   
  Romaldkirk Wilton-in-
 Cleveland
Crathorne Scarborough  
Alne - St Mary
Park outside church. The church was unlocked when we visited but this may not necessarily always be the case
Early 14th century effigy of a lady. North chapel
Amotherby - St Helen
The church is unlocked. Park nearby in village

Above & left: Sir John Bordesdon (c. 1329) The shield is carved with Sir John's arms in relief.
Right: Coffin lid with foliated cross and Lombardic inscription: Ci git Willelm de Bordesdon. He died c. 1322.
The above monuments are on either side of the chancel; the fragments below are in the porch.

Above: Coffin lid with foliated cross in relief: this is partly inside and partly outside the porch. Several other cross fragments
Below: Upper half of a coffin lid with bust sunk in relief. Several other fragments.

 
Ampleforth - St Hilda
Church unlocked. You may be able to park in the church hall car park behind the church
A very curious monument of about 1330. A female figure looks over the shoulder of the male figure; they are carved from the same block. Was it ever recumbent? Although sometimes called a 'male civilian' he appears to be wearing a mail shirt, the collar and cuffs of which can be seen. Set into the west wall under the tower. On the figure's left side is written: 'Wilhelmus de [Jarpenville]' although the surname is no longer legible.
Appleton-le-Street - All Saints
Turn off the main road onto a track which is signposted to the church. Turn into  the signposted 'church car park/church yard' and park on the grass. Church open. A beautiful and friendly church which is well worth a visit: drinks are provided. The church has a 10th century tower. The ladies are on either side of the chancel.
Lady with open mantle, the folds falling vertically, c. 1300. Possibly Alienore de Boulton, grandmother of Sir Thomas de Boulton, who founded the chantry in 1364.
On this lady the folds fall across as well, early 14th century. Either Hawise de Boulton (mother of the above Sir Thomas) or Clementia de Boulton or Alice de Boulton (one of his two wives)

Bedale - St Gregory
A friendly church with much of interest. Church unlocked. Limited parking outside; otherwise park in the town (free disc parking - obtain disc from any shop) or in  car park.

















  
Medieval Knights and a Lady at Bedale: Key
Coulumn 1 Column 2 Column 3
Knight 1. Late 14th Century: Note shield with carved heraldry Knight 1. Etchings from Hollis
Knight 2. Later 14th Century Knight 2
Sir Brian Fitzalan. (1306) Early 14th century. Note shield with carved heraldryNot alabaster: Magnesium Limeston Sir Brian Fitzalan. (1306)
Muriel, 1st wife of Sir Brian Fitzalan. Early 14th century. Sir Brian Fitzalan & Muriel
  Feet of the above
 
 
 
Far left: Henry Pierse (1824) &his daughter, Harriet Elizabeth. by Richard Westmacott. South Aisle
Centre, bottom and upper left: Brian de Thornhill (1343) Rector. Priest in mass vestments. He founded  a chantry in the church. North chapel. The tomb chest was probably that of Sir Brian Fitzalan
Centre, top right: Thomas Jackson (1529) Black marble with incised effigy and inscription. A Bedale merchant. North aisle floor.
Above: Richard Lambert (1610) Latin inscription. He was the first master of Christ's Hospital at Firby, founded in 1608. North aisle
 

Bulmer - St Martin
Church open during normal hours. Park in road outside
  
Left top: late 13th century knight. Arms carved in relief on shield
Left bottom: slab with cross and sword in low relief
Both of the monuments have been cemented into the north wall of the nave and dissappear behind the pulpit; they appear to have been cut to size to fit.
Above far left: Drawing of knight
Above left: Christopher Thompson (1748) who 'wrought in brass and iron for forty-five years for the third and fourth Earls of Carlisle...' (taken from Pevsner as almost illegible)
Above right: Anne Plummer (1856)
Above far left: Rev Charles Preston (1800) rector; 'his beloved consort' Elizabeth (1829); their sons: James (1797), Charles (1802), George (1813) & Edward (1822)
Catterick - St Anne
Church open. Park (free) in the village street from where a sort walk to the church


Knight, late 14th century. Note the unusual feature: he carries no sword (cf the similarly dated effigy at Kirklington, who also carries a shield) Said to be Sir Walter of Urswick, Chief Forester of Swaledale and Constable of Richmond Castle.


Left: Brass to  William Burgh (1492) & Elizabeth now wall mounted on wood.
Above: Brass to William Burgh (1442) & his son, also William (1465) The pew to which Pevsner refers must now have been removed.
The first William built the church; the third was his grandson.

Top Row, from Left to Right: 1. Sir Henry Lawson Bt (1854). 2. John (1782) & Thomas (1777) Booth. 3. ...'ye Revd: Mr MICH: SYDDAL late vicr of Cathericke...' 1658 A benefactor, he left £500 for the founding of a hospital for six poor widows, a free school and a small chapel, as well as a salary for a master to teach 'gratis' and read morning and evening prayer.  4. Charles Anthony, vicar 1660-85. Inscription in Latin.
Bottom Row, similarly: 1. Richard Braithwaite (1673) court poet. 2. Christopher Barker (1779), his wife Martha, their daughter Elizabeth Shutt (1770), their grand daughter Mary Shutt (1786), their daughter Mary Kirkby (1790) and his sister Alice Hawxwell (1791). 3. Dame Catherine Lawson (1824) 4. Sir Henry Lawson (1854) 5. Anastasia Strickland Standish (1807) Eldest daughter of Sir John Lawson
Coverham Abbey
The ruins of Coverham Abbey are in private ownership and not accessible. These two effigies are set against a wall near the Georgian house also called Coverham Abbey; the photographs were taken in the 1980's as I was not able to gain acces to them on a recent visit. There is a torso of a third effigy which I did not find.
Left: late 13th century; Right: early 14th century
Danby Wiske 

No dedication
   
Despite the rather off putting council notices on the gate to the churchyard, the friendly church is open. Park in the lane leading to the church 
Effigy of a lady early 14th century but recut. Said to be Matilda, widow of Brian Fitz Alan  of  Bedale (c 1340) (q.v.) and daughter of John Balliol the Scots King. The effigy was used as a lintel over the bell tower door and moved to present position in1939.

East Harsley - St Oswald
Park outside but the church is locked: you will need to apply to the Incumbent for the key
 
Far left: 12th century grave slab. Note the sheep shears. The inscription is said to read: 'Hic jacet Joha...' Near Left: 13th century slab said to be of William Sawcock and Wife. Note the cross and military equipment. To the right: Effigy said to be of Sir Geoffrey Hotham (1326) Note the bare head and the surcoat with long sleeves. Face recut. Cf Bedale above.
Felixkirk - St Felix 
There is said to be effigies of a knight and lady of about 1300 in the church. However the church, which is on the edge of the village, is lock by a padlock on the entrance to the porch; it was thus not possible to see of there was a list of key holders. You can park outside the church 
Forcett - St Cuthbert
Park outside the church. The church is open although the effigy is in the porch which has no gate to the outside
 
Priest 14th century. In porch. There are also several fragments of coffin lids set in the walls and seats of the porch. Note the sheep shears below.
Gilling East - Holy Cross
Also called simply Gilling. Church open; park outside

Top row: Two foliated crosses
Bottom row: Slab to an unknown knight, early 14th century. In the chancel. Possibly founder of the chancel, one of the Malbys; also said to be Sir Ivo de Etton. There are similar monuments at Melsonby, Brize Norton, Kingerby and Staunton. Next is an arched canopy of the 14th century; south wall, south aisle. The arms on one of the shields are of the Etton family.
Above: Sir Nicholas Fairfax (1572) and his two wives: Jane Palmes and Alice Harrington. Late 16th century. Not in situ and the bases were erected in 1840. There is a reference to children of the first wife but these no longer exist.
Thomas Fairfax (1828) White marble by Joseph Gott; made in Rome
Grinton - St Andrew
church open: park outside or in village
 
  Thomas Peacock (1762) & Dorothy (1710) & members of the family to 1828. He died aged 102; her age has been left blank. By Davies of Newcastle 'Here lyes ye body of' Dorathy Darcy (1698). Although this resembles a hatchment, it is a painted wooden memorial board.
Hauxwell -  St Oswald
(also called East Hauxwell)
The church is reached down a 'white road' leading to Hauxwell Hall; at the cross roads, this road points approximately north-west and looks like a private toad. It is however a public road and the church is soon reached on the left. Church usually open. There is a small car park right outside the church  O/S Ref: SE166 930



Henry Thoresby (1611)
Bencher of Lincoln's Inn

Sir Marmaduke (1680) and Dame Barbara Dalton (1708)
Monument dates from 1711

Inscription in Latin but the name is too worn to be legible

Henry Copland (1710/11)
Rev F. Wade-Dalton (1932)
Rector of Hauxwell

Opposite this Place are Interrd the Remains of the Revd  CHARLES DALTON, M.A. Rector of Hauxwell' (1788). 'And beneath...' Francis Dalton (1792) brother


Elizabeth Drake (1792) Widow of Samuel,  rector of Treeton and daughter of rector of Hauxwell
'Also in this place are deposited the remains...' Frances Drake daughter of above. 1797
Top: Driver John Robert Bean Royal Signals kia 1942
Bottom: Sir Charles Dalton (1747) 'Gent Usher of the Black Rod'
Ledger stone of  Mark Millbanks (1698 age 7) cross slab with sword slab with sword; rest obliterated  

Hornby - St Mary
A fine and very interesting church, well worth a detour to visit. There is no village as such. Church unlocked; park outside.
NB SatNav users: there are several Hornbies: this one is near Catterick and Bedale on the west side of the Great North Road.
South East Chapel


1. Lady of the early 14th century, much worn. (top row, left and middle columns)
2. Knight and Lady of the later 14th century. Alabaster. (top row, right column & lower row, right columns)
3. D'Arcy family (1578) The alabaster effigies, as above, are in front, no longer on tomb chests. (lower row, left column)
4. Slabs with crosses and swords (lower row, centre column)
Thomas Mountford (1489) & Wife Brass matrices and inscriptions Frances D'Arcy (1670)
Nave North Aisle and Church Yard
1. Knight & Lady of the early 14th century
2. Medieval effigy, impossible to identify, worn and moss covered. In church yard by south door. ( directly above)
3. Illegible inscription but date is 1780 by John Bacon (lower right)
Ingleby Arncliffe
 All Saints
Park outside church. Church is locked and you will have to contact the Incumbent for the key.
Two knights of c. 1330. Note the legs are straight and both hold hearts. Both show the rather damaged unusual feature ailettes as the side of their shoulders; although these are believed to be cloth indentification structures rather than metal defence items, the knight on the left appears to have his helmet resting on the ailette on his left.
Jervaulx Abbey
The ruined Cistercian abbey is in private ownership but may be visited at any time for a small donation (honesty box ) towards the upkeep. Car park across the road. The effigy is said to be that of Lord Henry Fitzhugh (1307) There are many tomb slabs both in the church and chapter house but mostly plain; here a some with various inscriptions, crosses and a chalice.
Kirkby Fleetham
St Mary
Well outside of the village. There's a sign on the main road indicating this church - '12th Century Parish Church'. However this takes you  to Kirkby Hall  down a long drive with a plethora of 'Private Property' notices. There is a large car park outside the church with a 'Permit Holders Only' sign, although there appears to be some limited parking outside the church, which is, in any case, locked. The incumbent's details are given on the notice board.
Kirby Sigston
St Lawrence
The church stands by itself, in a magnificent setting,  far from the small hamlet of Kirby Sigston. The church is approached along a designated public footpath leading from a narrow road where parking is difficult. The gate to the porch is locked and it is not possible to see the details of any keyholders or the incumbent.
Kirkby-in-Cleveland
St Augustine
Late 14th century effigies of knight and lady in the churchyard north of the church. Were they thrown out in a rebuilding?
Kirklington - St Michael
Church open - park outside or nearby
Knight   & Lady of the late 14th century, in separate ogee arched recesses.  Note: unusual feature that the knight does not carry a sword cf above



Top: Two small tablets and a brass:
1. 1707 Here lyeth Barron Wandesford, Viscount Castlecomer in the 54 year of his age.
 2. Dec.r 20 1714. To the memory of the Hon.ble Lady Ellenor Wandesford
3. Here lies buried the body of Sir Christopher Wandesford Baronet March 112th 1687

Immediately left: Sir Christopher Wandesford (1590)  and far left bottom detail of the helmet from the monument which may be seen mounted on the wall to the left. Above is an actual helmet with overlarge crest of a church, of the early 16th century and may have belonged to a member of the family.


   

New Malton - St Leonard
Arthur Gibson (1837) Iron and brass founder. The whole monument is metal: the pillasters, entablature and a vase hels by dolphins are of iron; the engraved plate of brass. By Mr Gibson himelf.  On the right is a drunk with bottle and glass while on the right a man kneeling at prayer.

'Here lies one, when living, had his virtues and vices, copy his virtues and shun his vices'
Masham - St Mary
Church open - park outside in the square
Sir Marmaduke Wyvill (1613) & Wife of Low Burton Hall. Alabaster. The iron railing is original.
Sir Abstrupus Danby (1737) of Swindon Park. Marble. The two tablets  on either side are shown enlarged on the right. Froam left to right above: Thomas Danby (1582)
Thomas Lockhart (1772) & Mary Marjorie (1775)
Daughter of William Danby
Mary, Countess Harcourt (1833)
née Danby Widow of Field Marshal William Last, Earl Harcourt. Also her only sister Elisabeth Danby (1786) buried at Lyons
William Danby (1833) William (1781) & Mary (1773) Danby Vice Admiral Venables Vernon Harcourt (1863) by Skelton of York Abstrupus Danby (1730)
Note the crab



          Melsonby - St James
  Church normally open. Park in road outside: this will need care as road is narrow with junctions O/S Ref: NZ 201 085
  
Left to Right: Roger Swire (1792) and siblings Jane (1798) and Rev Samuel MA (1799); below a tablet to Jane Higginson (1802) daughter of John Swire. Illegible; two Anglo-Danish grave covers.

Nunnington - All Saints & St James
Church open. Park in village near church
   
Said to be Sir Walter de Teye (1325)
William, Lord Widdrington (1743) signed Iacobo Gibbs Archi (designed); made by Rysbrack Richard 1st Viscount Preston (1695) Emily Cleaver (1806) aged 23. By Cleaver Thomas Jackson 'who was well known for his extraordinary performance on the Turf' and rose 'from the lowest station' and thereby provided 'a useful Lesson to the humbler Part of Mankind'

Pickering
 St Peter & St Paul
Church open; park in the town
NB The section is incomplete
Alabaster fragment of later 14th century. The repeated pattern of chess rooks around the helmet indicate it may well represent a Roucliffe. Local tradition ascribed it to John of Gaunt (b. in Old St Paul's) Sir William Bruce who established a chantry in the church in 1337. Note the armour of c. 1340-50 and the arms carved in relief on the shield.


Above and right: Sir David and Margery Roucliffe c. 1400. Alabaster. Note the single chess rook on the surcoat. In the south chapel which is now unfortunately locked
 
Stainton
 St Peter & St Paul
 
 
14 th century effigy of priest holding heart or book ?  
Pickhill - All Saints  
Very friendly and welcoming church, open during daylight hours; keyholder's details given if visiting outside hours. Good pub in the village.
Sir Andrew Neville (1295) Arms cared in relief on shield but very worn. Appears to have been crossed legged: cf Pevsner
The other illustrations are of wall monuments and various fragments which include a tomb slab, Anglo-Danish grave covers and part of a hogback tombstone

Sheriff Hutton
St Helen and Holy Cross
Church is open during daylight hours.
Park in front of church (limited) or nearby in village
Above and near right: said to be Sir Edward Thweng (1444) but looks a little earlier.
Mid right: Brass of two babies in swaddling clothes: Dorothy & John Fenys (1491)
Far right:
Brass of Mary Hall (1651) '...with their little sonne'
Above and left: Alabaster effigy of a boy, often said to be Edward of Middleham  (1484), although modern research says this is unlikely.

Slingsby - All Saints
This is a mainly Victorian church but retains a early 14th century knight (holding his heart) and a foliated cross. The church is on the edge of the largest village and is open; park outside.

Above is the knight presumably from and earlier church. Right is the cross with the knight in the background. One of the Wyville family.
South Cowton - St Mary
There is no village now of South Cowton so you will neither find it on satnav nor map; the church is cared for by the Churches Conservation Trust. From the A1 take the B1263 towards Darlington; on the right you will see a sign 'Atley Fields. Adamson Contractors.' Turn into this road - which is no more than a track - and you will immediately see a wooden sign 'Public Footpath. Historic Church'. Atley Fields is marked on the Ordance Survey map. Follow the track along a water meadow on your right for 800 yards and park outside the church, which is unlocked. If you come to a cross road leading to North Cowton to your left and East Cowton to your right, you have travelled too far towards Darlington. NZ 293 026
Alabaster effigies of either Sir Richard Boynton (c. 1485) or Sir Richard Conyers (1502) - the latter is more likely - and two wives, one of whom represents Alice Wycliffe. These effigies are clearly not in situ and would have rested side by side on a tomb chest.

Stonegrave - Holy Trinity
(Stonegrave Minster)
Church open : park outside church
Above right: Civilian early 14th century. He is shown with a cap tied under his chin and his legs are crossed, this latter being unusual in civilian effigies. Possibly William Thornton (1330)
Below this (four photographs): Robert Thornton (1418) & Wife. Note the small shield with arms
Tablets to members of the Comber family by Taylor of York:
Left:
Rev William Comber A.M. (1810) Vicar of Kirky Moorside
Centre: His wife Dorothy (1807)
Left: The above set up this tablet to member of their family: To Rev William's father, Thomas (1763), and mother Anne (1734); to his elder brother Rev Thomas LLD (1778), Rector of Beckworth & Morborn in Huntingdonshire; and to his younger brother Andrew (1747). To Dorothy's mother, Dorothy (1759) and to the latter's sister Ann (1789)
'WILLIAM THORNSTON Esqr deſcended from the Ancient & Worſhipfull Family, ſurnamed de Thornton (Lords of East Newton from the time of K: Edw: 1...Marryed ALICE...And having lived most Religiouſly 45 Years, Dyed Septemb 17 MDCLXVII' Painted wooden panel.
Sutton-on-the-Forest - All Hallows
Richard Harland (1750)
JP Lawyer of Gray's Inn
Sir Charles Hoar Harland (1810)
He added Harland to his name after marrying Anne, co-heiress of Philip Harland
Richard Harland (1689)
fought for the Royalists at Marston Moor and Worcester
Thorton-le-Dale - All Saints
Church unlocked; limited parking outside. Delightful village
Lady - early 14th century. Note the canopy, shields on the slab and the two dogs at her feet. Possibly Lady Beatrice Hastings, who extended the church in the early 14th century. John Hill (1773) signed by Fischer, York Richard Johnson Hill (1793) Ann Webb (1812) & Rev John Web (1837) Rector here for 53 years
 
Wensley - Holy Trinity
Church open. The church is under the care of the Churches Conservation Trust
Left: Henry & Richard, children of Lord Scrope, who both died in 1525. Black marble slab with the figures in low relief; now fixed to the wall.
Above:Sir Simon de Wensley, rector (1394). An earlier date of the 1330's has been assigned to this Flemish brass, which often appears in books on brasses as an example of a priest in mass vestments.
Right: Medieval grave slab with cross
'Edward Raper Son of Edward
Raper of this Parish erected this
in memory of his Mother Grace
Raper who departed this Life
Aug  the 13  1700 aged _5 &
alſo of his two ſisters Elizabeth
& Ann both dying in
Infancy'
  ' In Memory of
Peter Hammand Esq.r who died Aug JJth J773
Aged 87
and Elisabeth his Wife
who died Nov.br 26th J763
Aged 89
Likewise Peter their Son
who died Sep.br J2th J7J5
Aged 3 years
also Elizabeth their Daughter
who died Sep.br 24th J75J
Aged 4J
and Peter their Grandson
who died July 2nd J769
Aged 32

West Tanfield - St Nicholas
Church unlocked; park outside. Well worth a visit - a beautiful well kept church and village


Left: Possibly Sir William Marmion (1275)
Above: Lady of the late 14th century

Above & right: Lady of late 14th century lying on tomb chest with shields.
Knight, late 13th or early 14th  century (possible Sir John Marmion (1330)) and lady later 14th century, so not a matching couple, but now together under a canopy of  about the same time as the knight.
Probably Sir John Marmion (1387) & Elizabeth - or his younger brother Robert  & Laura. Alabaster and under a iron hearse with candle holders; this is said to be unique.
Thomas Sutton (c. 1490) Rector Lt Nigel George Crompton Royal  Engineers. Kia Erquingham Sur Lys, France 1915 age 27

Whorlton-in-Cleveland  -  Holy Cross
This may be a difficult church to find. Find Swainby and turn left over the river passing the modern Church of the Holy Cross on your right; continue and you will come to Whorlton-in-Cleveland. This is just a ruined castle and a partly ruined church. The chancel of the church and the tower have been restored and are locked; there is no indication of the key holder. There is said to be a fine oak effigy of a knight in the chancel but I was unable to see it.
Wycliffe - St Mary
Another challenge to find!  Leave the A66 north to Thorpe then round a right rightangle bend. There is another Wholton over the river (which the SatNav give instead of the above) Continue until a left turn marked 'Wycliffe' but do not take it; rather continue towards Wycliffe Hall. Before the Hall you will see a footpath marked with an indistict wooden sign to your left; this is easy to miss so if you pass the two entrances to the Hall (also on your left) you have gone too far. Park outside, go through a metal kiss gate and along a pleasant footpath through the woods. The latter part is downhill and very uneven. You will reach the entrance to the church yard. The church is locked at the moment (but this may change in the future) but there are several keyholders listed in the porch.
Upper half of male civilian, now set upright Incised slab to John Foster, rector 1435-1456. Note the very small feet: the sculptor clearly ran out of space! Above: Brass to boy, Ralph Wyclif 1606.
Below:
Hogsback Tombstone - part of a 9th century Danish burial - dug up from the church yard in 1801

Yarm - St Mary Magdalene
Park in the High Street for a very modest cost. The church is on the other side of the railway viaduct. The church is open Mondays 10.00 am to 12.30 pm and Wednesdays 10.00 to 4.00 pm. Very friendly.
The church is Georgian, replacing an earlier medieval church which was badly damaged by fire in 1728. This monument probably comes from the earlier church. It is now set in the floor immediately to your left when you enter the south door; it is protected from damage by an easily moveable table.
Double effigy of a male civilian and female on a stone slab; the figures are a little under 4 feet tall. Above the male is carved a bird and above the female a seated figure with one hand raised in benediction. Fourteenth century.

The monument has obviously been reused at some time as an inscription has been added: 'here lyeth the body....and was buried the 2nd July An. Do. 1638'




The above etchings are from Hollis and the drawings from I'Anson except for the civilian at Sherrif Hutton which is by the Publicity Officer.

Return to previous ('Monuments') page click here